Sheriff’s Deputy – Uncertified
Our purpose is to make a difference in the community, to make Lea County a better, safer, and more enjoyable place to live. And it’s our employees who make that happen.
- Performs a wide range of duties in order to maintain a safe environment within Lea County; control criminal activity; enforce various laws and ordinances; protect and serve the public; and preserve individuals’ constitutional rights as provided for under County, State, Tribal, and Federal laws.
- Duties include but are not limited to patrol of assigned areas; response to calls for assistance, emergency and non-emergency; investigation of reported crimes; reporting of observed or discovered crimes; preparation and correct processing of work-related paperwork; traffic enforcement; crime prevention; and other similar duties falling within the scope of law enforcement.
- Maintains radio contact in accordance with regulations.
- Duties may involve routine traffic control in areas not afforded normal police protection.
- Routine traffic control may involve the apprehension of persons disobedient to traffic laws and regulations.
- Assists in the operation of check points and road blocks to apprehend escaped or wanted criminals, DWI offenders, unlicensed or otherwise illegal vehicle operators, drug traffickers, etc.
- May also be called upon to respond to and investigate domestic difficulties, highway accidents, and other situations needing immediate attention.
- Coordinates and cooperates as necessary with other police agencies. This may include special conditions such as interacting with undercover personnel and assisting with investigations of homicide and other felony offenses.
- Must be able to correctly judge situations and determine the appropriate level of force to be utilized.
- Prepares various reports in an adequate manner, assuring proper details.
- Transports detained persons to court and to detention centers.
- Protects or escorts witnesses or victims as assigned. May also be assigned to provide escort services for parades or in the movement of major vehicles or projects over highways where safe passage is required.
- Delivers summonses and other writs and documents.
- High school diploma or GED required.
- Some college hours or Associate’s Degree preferred with emphasis in law enforcement.
- Previous law enforcement experience or reserve training preferred.