We are seeking interested persons that must be eager, energetic, honest, mature, level-headed and of good moral character. If you are serious about pursuing a criminal justice career with a professional organization, fill out a job interest form and submit by mail or in person to our office.
Minimum Requirements for Employment
- Age – Applicants must be at least 21 years of age for Deputy, Detention and Warrant Record Clerk positions. All other clerical position must be at least 18 years of age.
- Education – Applicants must have graduated from an accredited high school or hold an approved General Education Development Certificate (GED). To be a Deputy Sheriff, you must have completed Basic Law Enforcement Training in North Carolina.
- Citizenship and Residency – Applicants must be a citizen of the United States and a resident of Gaston County, Cleveland County, Lincoln County, Mecklenburg County, or York County. If you live in any of the adjacent counties that border Gaston County, you may apply for any available positions. For additional information contact Deputy M. Agerton at 704-869-6834 or Captain J. Long at 704-869-6825.
- Criminal History – Pursuant to the rules and regulation of the North Carolina Sheriff’s Training & Standards Commission an applicant must not have been convicted of a felony, a crime for which the punishment could have been imprisonment for more than two years or conviction of certain misdemeanor crimes.
- Military Service – Applicants with prior military service must have received an honorable discharge.