Sheriff Deputy Law Enforcement
Sheriff Deputies are assigned to the Field Services Division of the Ingham County Sheriff Office. Their functions involve the primary contact that the public has with the Ingham County Sheriff Office and as such, it is important that Deputies remember their actions will come under public scrutiny.
The primary function of the Sheriff Deputy is to insure the health, safety, and well-being of the public. Deputies will be responsible for responding to requests for service from the public as well as basic patrol duties. Deputies will handle a wide variety of complaints and incidents. These will include responding to accidents, criminal investigations, and traffic enforcement. Deputies also will be called on to handle situations not directly involving citizen complaints, such as prisoner transport, court security, hospital guard, etc.
Sheriff Deputies are assigned to a shift and fall under the command structure of the Field Services Division. Sheriff Deputies are expected to perform any and all duties assigned to them by superior officers.
Salary: $40,014.40 Annually
1. Respond to citizen requests for service, appropriately documenting the incident when necessary.
2. Conduct initial and follow-up investigations on crimes.
3. Respond to, investigate, and render first aid at accidents.
4. Provide traffic enforcement and policing.
5. Provide residential and business security checks.
6. Provide security at special events.
7. Proved security at courts.
8. Assist with other agencies requesting assistance.
9. Provide prisoner transport for court, hospital, and other appointments.
10. Perform various administrative duties as directed. These include bank deposits, getting the mail, etc.
Education: High school graduate or equivalent. College degree in Law Enforcement or Criminal Justice preferred.
Experience: Prior experience in Law Enforcement or Military preferred. Must be certifiable as a Police Officer (M.C.O.L.E.S.)