Senior Police Officer
Salary: $47,380 – $56,650.
Performs basic protective service work enforcing local and state laws and ordinances and related work as required.
Work is performed under the moderate supervision of Police Sergeant.
- On an assigned shift, operates patrol vehicle or specialized police equipment or walks to observe for violations of traffic laws, suspicious activities or persons, and disturbances of law and order.
- Interviews victims and witnesses to obtain additional information regarding crime, accident, violation, etc.
- Investigates crimes; collects evidence; conducts searches.
- Responds to radio dispatches and answers calls and complaints; serves warrants, summons, etc.; completes
arrest records; investigates licenses.
- Enforces traffic laws; investigates accidents; issues traffic citations; monitors school traffic zone.
- Provides police escorts and security at public events; directs traffic; performs residential and commercial security checks; assists distressed motorists.
- Makes arrests and testifies in court; prepares incident and various special reports.
- Responds to and investigates domestic disputes; assists other law enforcement agencies when assigned.
- Conducts vehicle and equipment inspections.
- Attends and participates in training and career development.
- Transports and handles special needs individuals.
- Performs related tasks as required.
- High School diploma or GED and considerable experience performing law enforcement duties or equivalent
combination of education and experience.
- A valid Commonwealth of Virginia driver’s license. Department of Criminal Justice Certification. Completion of Staff Officer written and oral examination. A valid Commonwealth of Virginia Breath Alcohol Operator License.