School Resource Officer (SRO)/ Police Officer
Rate of Pay: $59,894 – $72,483
**This position is for TCOLE Certified Applicants only**
**Lateral applicants credited with 50% of their service time**
To serve and protect the citizen’s of the City of Burnet through the enforcement of state and municipal laws and ordinances as appropriate.
This is a responsible non-supervisory position. Duties include patrolling BCISD schools, generally by foot or vehicle along with patrolling an assigned area of the City of Burnet, when not working as an SRO. To prevent crime and enforce laws and ordinances; and responding to emergency calls and routine complaints, taking appropriate action.
- Patrols an assigned area, generally by foot or vehicle, to prevent crimes and enforce laws and ordinances;
- Protective lives and property for the citizens and the public school students;
- Investigates criminal activities committed on or adjacent to school property
- Aware at all times of the responsibility to improve the image of the uniformed law enforcement officer in the eyes of the students and the community;
- Responds to emergency calls and routine complaints and disturbances and takes action as necessary;
- Serves warrants and makes arrests;
- Directs traffic, operates traffic radar monitoring equipment, and issues traffic citations;
- Investigates traffic accidents and crimes against persons and property;
- Gathers and labels evidence;
- Questions witnesses and suspects and takes statements and depositions;
- Appears in court as required;
- Conducts security checks of business and residential areas on patrol route;
- High school graduation or its equivalent.
- Basic certification by the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement required.
- Minimum six months experience as a law enforcement officer in Texas is required, including SRO training;
- Valid Texas motor vehicle operator’s license and have good driving skills and the capability of being insured by the City’s liability insurance carrier.
- Must be able to pass a physical examination, background investigation, drug screen, and psychological examination.