Public Safety Telecommunicator
Salary: $20.00 hourly.
Open until filled
The City of Grandview is now accepting applications for Full-Time Public Safety Telecommunicator for Police Services. The incumbent must be able to perform: transcription; typing 25 WPM; data entry; word processing; computer operation; use of modern Department equipment. The ideal candidate will be capable of assertively taking command of situations in a sensitive yet straightforward manner, while showing consideration and respect to others, and will have the ability to deal with stressful and pressured situations in an efficient and controlled manner. Candidates must demonstrate good decision making skills under pressure, work with minimum direct supervision, and be a team player with a positive attitude. Here, at the City of Grandview, we work hard to embrace diversity and inclusion and encourage everyone to bring their authentic selves to work every day.
- Receive requests for emergency and non-emergency services. Obtain sufficient information to determine the appropriate agency, and if emergency or administrative action needs to be taken.
- Dispatch and direct emergency personnel, consider call priority, availability and the number and types of personnel needed.
- Monitor and coordinate departmental and inter-agency activities.
- Operate, maintain, and validate data in local, state, national, and international computerized criminal justice data bases.
- Solicit informational responses, coordinate and communicate responses and monitor ongoing activities to upgrade information received by field units as well as to enhance officer safety.
- Organize, catalog, maintain, and tabulate Departmental files and records.
- Perform collateral duties and special assignments at the direction or request of Departmental Supervisors.
- Operate and provide first line maintenance and perform preliminary diagnostics on all telecommunications and office equipment located in the Dispatch Center.
- Provide on-the-job training for new tele-communicators and other departmental personnel designated for training.
- Exercise discretion in a manner consistent with Departmental Policy and Procedures.
- All other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent, proficient keyboard data entry, along with the ability to deal effectively and positively with the public.
- Must be able to type 25 words a minute minimum.
- Police/Emergency Services dispatch experience highly preferred but will train motivated candidate with excellent oral communication skills to work in fast paced, multi-task environment.
- Must be able to recognize forced whisper at 5 feet with correction.
- Bilingual desired but not required.