Public Safety Dispatcher
Salary: $57,828.00 – $70,296.00 Annually.
The desired candidate will be able to deal with people in a variety of emotional states, while remaining calm and professional. Dispatchers gather essential information from callers and dispatch the appropriate first responders to the scene. Incumbents in the position must be able to take control of situations that may be chaotic, stressful, confusing and frenzied. Being organized, adept at multi-tasking, and levelheaded are desired skills for the position. Dispatchers deal directly with life or death situations, so requirements and training for the position are rigorous.
- Receives, screens, and takes appropriate action on all emergency service calls to include 911 calls from the public requesting law enforcement, fire and EMS; determines nature and location of emergency, determines priority, dispatches emergency responders/units as necessary in accordance with established department policies and procedures; relays pertinent information to law enforcement and emergency services officers.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks to receive and communicate information to and from several sources ensuring calls for service are dispatched and monitored in a timely manner.
- Enters call information into the computer-aided dispatch system (CAD) and into local, state and national computer databases.
- Operate a multi-line telephone console and alerting system.
- Provides information, instructions and assistance to the public within scope of authority; provides detailed call information to first responders as needed; maintains status and awareness of unit locations; monitors message traffic and relays information as required.
- Effectively prioritize situations and make decisions based on the information received.
- Perform emergency medical dispatch questioning and provide pre-arrival instructions for emergency medical calls.
- Work under stressful conditions and react appropriately using good judgement.
- Availability to work varying shifts, including nights, weekends and holidays.
- Type a minimum of 40 net words per minute.
- Two or more years of work experience performing duties similar to dispatching emergency services.
- English usage and grammar.
- Modern office procedures and practices.
- Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade.