Port Police Officer
At Port Houston we dream big, think big and do big things. For over 100 years, we’ve had the vision and scale to deliver big things that matter to Houston and the region. Our sustainability and success has been built upon attracting, retaining, and developing exceptional people.
Are you ready to think about the future…and think big!
Enabling our people to unleash their full potential is central to ‘We are READY!’, our vision, mission, and strategic priorities.
The Port Police Officer provides police services for Port Houston tenants, visitors, employees, dock, and stevedore personnel, visiting ships and crews. Ensures safety of tenants and assets, visiting dignitaries, security of physical structures and equipment. Requires adherence and compliance to United States Code of Federal Regulations, 33 CFR 105. We are seeking a candidate that will display attention to detail, commitment, professionalism, and sense of urgency.
• Perform all regular full-time Patrol Officer duties, including patrol, traffic control, responding to calls for service, investigating traffic accidents and criminal offenses, issuing citations and warnings, serving subpoenas, making physical custody arrests with and without a warrant, transporting prisoners, testifying in court and before administrative bodies, making application for search warrants and arrest warrants, taking juveniles, intoxicated, or mentally ill persons into protective custody, writing investigative reports, conducting crime prevention surveys, responding to citizen inquiries, taking fingerprints of arrested persons, searching for latent fingerprints, searching for and collecting physical evidence at crime and accident scenes, performing various rescue and lifesaving tasks, controlling violent or resisting subjects, apprehending fleeing suspects on foot or in a motor vehicle, and participating in strenuous and physically demanding basic and in-serve training programs
• Patrol Port Houston properties using a Port Houston Police Unit to maintain traffic control, visually and physically inspect perimeter fencing and unmanned gates for signs of tampering, damage and/or unauthorized entry attempts and any breach of security
• Physically check buildings and facilities for occupancy and insure they are locked and secured when empty and unoccupied
• Make frequent inspections of all offices, security cages, warehouses (to include waterfront and rail side area); check for fire, pilferage, vandalism, damage, etc.
• Maintain area checks of entire facilities and perimeters of all leased tenant properties, wharfs, staging areas, parking lots, turnstiles, administration facilities, construction areas, and restricted areas
• Conduct, assist and enforce in all TWIC verification as needed
• Closely monitor and operate radio communications and telephone equipment with professionalism
• Escort visitors, oversize vehicles and equipment from gates to destination on property as necessary; transport individuals to work area as directed
• Investigate incidents/accidents and prepare reports in a timely manner
• Assist shift supervisor, other Police Officers and Security Officers at the gates as required in relaying instructions, assisting in berthing of vessels, etc.
• Assist the Port Houston Fire & Marine Department in traffic control as needed
• Provide agency assist to outside agencies and needed and directed by shift supervisor or duty Sergeant
Education / Experience Requirements:
• High School diploma or GED equivalent required
• 2+ years of related law enforcement experience required
• A current, valid TCOLE Peace Officer license required
• A current, valid Texas driver's license is required. Successful out of state candidates must be able to obtain a valid Texas driver's license within 90 days of hire.
• Once selected for employment, federal regulations require that the applicant must either undergo a federal background check as part of the Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) program or already possess a TWIC. The TWIC must be obtained within 30 days of appointment and be maintained for the duration of employment. For further program information, visit: https://www.tsa.gov/for-industry/twic