Salary range: $28.52 – $29.76.
This position is administrative in nature and will follow similar duties as that of a School Resource Officer while exercising full arrest powers as any other Maine law enforcement officer would.
This position will be responsible for leading the law enforcement, safety, and security efforts for the UMM campus. Acting as a direct liaison with local law enforcement within the community, thi individual is expected to establish and maintain positive relationships with area law enforcement agencies such as the Machias Police Department, the Washington County Sheriff’s Office, and the Maine State Police among others.
Senior UMM staff will rely heavily on this position for law enforcement, safety, and security guidance. It is expected that this individual will maintain continual communication not only with the UMM senior staff but also with the UMPD chain of command.
- Perform essential law enforcement duties that include patrol, investigations, infrastructure security, and emergency management.
- Responds to routine and complex emergency situations; answers and responds to radio or telephone dispatches.
- Communicates with the public and employees while patrolling University streets; assists individuals with disabled vehicles and vehicle lockouts; checks building security; and observes behavior of citizens.
- Prepares suspect, illness and injury, accident, arrest, and administrative reports.
- Assist with operation of the Emergency Operations Center (EOC) and attend monthly meetings.
- Assist with printing and maintaining University IDs and card access.
- Assist with parking passes and parking enforcement.
- Assist with New Student Orientation and other large scale campus events, such as dances, Greek games, Winterfest, spring fling, graduation, etc.
- Assist with campus and residence hall programming around the topics of campus and personal safety.
- Assist with documenting Clery information.
- Assist with securing the campus, such as locking doors, making sure doors are closed properly, being observant of and addressing security concerns related to buildings and the campus, etc.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with students, faculty, staff, and the public.
- Participate in campus meetings and committees as appropriate.
- Assist with enforcing University policies, as well as State and Federal laws.
- This position requires a full-time law enforcement officer certification from the Maine Criminal Justice Academy. Certifications from other states must be eligible for MCJA waiver within one year of employment.
- Valid driver’s license
- Candidates will be required to complete a series of testing including written and oral examinations, a background investigation, and a physical. Applicants who are full-time MCJA/BLETP certified or currently employed as a full-time officer, the psychological interview and polygraph test will be at the discretion of the Chief of Police.
- If not previously certified by the Maine Criminal Justice Academy, the applicant must take the ALERT test and a physical assessment test to meet the MCJA criteria for these.
- Excellent hearing, clear speech, and excellent eyesight (corrected acceptable).
- Must be able to function well under pressure with adverse stimulation and in potentially life-threatening situations.
- Individual must be highly motivated.
- Excellent Communication skills, both written and oral.
- Any additional specialized law enforcement training.
- Demonstrated familiarity with current Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Google Suite programs (Docs, Sheets, etc.)