Police Recruit Trainee and Academy Attendee
Salary $6,647.00 – $8,079.00 Monthly
Your search has ended! You have found your home with the San Leandro Police Department if you want a demanding and rewarding career working alongside honorable community guardians who partner with our diverse community to make San Leandro the safest city in the country. This is your home if you like being at the forefront of technology and innovation. This is your home if you enjoy being valued, celebrated, and having your creative solutions solicited. This is your home if our core values: teamwork, integrity, professionalism, and service resonate with you. Explore your new home at https://wearourblue.org/ to learn more about becoming a member of our extraordinary team as a Police Recruit Trainee.
APPLY IMMEDIATELY. APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED UNTIL A SUFFICIENT NUMBER OF QUALIFIED APPLICATIONS ARE RECEIVED FOR THE CURRENT ROUND OF TESTING. To be considered for this testing process, applicants MUST submit a California PELLETB “T-score” of 42 points or higher dated within one year or application or an NTN score for the written exam requirement. A California POST physical agility certificate, known as the Work Sample Test Battery (WSTB), with a score of 384 or higher and a 14-minute maximum time for the 1.5-mile run dated within one year of application MUST be submitted with your application.
For information on how to take the NTN written exam, please visit https://nationaltestingnetwork.com/publicsafetyjobs/index.cfm.
For information on how to take the California POST PELLETB and/or WSTB, please visit https://theacademy.ca.gov/tests.
WHAT WE OFFER YOU:
- Get paid to learn! Earn a full-time salary while attending a Police Basic Academy ($6647 – $8079/month)
- Parental Leave (40) hours upon graduation*
- 4% of base salary for an AA or Intermediate POST*
- Up to 8% of base salary for a BA or Advanced POST*
- Master Officer I/II pay – up to 7.5% of base salary (after 20 years as a sworn peace officer with established criteria)*
- Onsite gym and fitness amenities available*
- City contribution towards deferred compensation up to 2% of base salary
- Up to $2409 monthly City contribution toward medical and dental benefits (you pay only $113.30/month for Kaiser family coverage)
*Upon graduation from the Police Academy
Duties and Responsibilities
Supervision Exercised and Received: Receives direct supervision and tutorage from Academy training staff, as well as training staff from the San Leandro Police Department.
Essential Functions: The functions of the classification may include, but are not limited to, the functions below and are subject to changes in operational necessity.
- Attends and successfully completes a certified police training academy designed to provide an overview of the Criminal Justice System which includes training in various laws, police procedures, law enforcement techniques, first aid, weapons, and physical fitness;
- Understands and is able to carry out oral and written directions;
- Meets standards of physical stature, endurance, and agility established by the City;
- Observe and accurately remember names, faces, numbers, incidents, and places;
- Uses and cares for firearms;
- Learns, understands, and interprets laws and regulations;
- Prepares accurate and grammatically correct written reports;
- Learns standard broadcasting procedures of a Police radio system; and
- Performs related duties as assigned. For detailed information about the job classification, visit: Police Recruit Trainee
To qualify as a Police Recruit Trainee/Academy Attendee, an applicant must:
- Possess a high school diploma or a G.E.D.
- Have equivalent work experience, other education or training that would most likely provide the required knowledge and abilities OR completed 60 (semester) college units
- Be 20.5 years of age or older to attend a POST Basic Police Academy
- Possession and continued maintenance of a valid class “C” California driver’s license
- Record must be free from any felony convictions, or any convictions that would bar the applicant from legally possessing a firearm
- Applicant must be in good physical condition. Weight must be in proportion to height. Vision and physical condition must satisfy established POST medical standards. Please refer to https://post.ca.gov/medical-screening-manual.aspx for additional information.
Candidates must submit ONE of the following in order to be considered:
*California POST Entry Level Law Enforcement Test Battery (PELLETB) “T-score” of 45 points or higher dated within one year of application. NOTE: California POST “T-scores” from other agencies will be accepted if it has been taken within one year of the date you submit your City of San Leandro application. Applicants must submit, on agency letterhead, a letter that states that individual has taken the California Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) Entry Level Law Enforcement Test Battery (PELLETB) written exam. The letter must contain the total “T-score” and the date of the test. For information on where the PELLETB test is offered, please visit www.theacademy.ca.gov/tests.
*A passing NTN score. For information on where the NTN test is offered, please visit https://nationaltestingnetwork.com/publicsafetyjobs/index.cfm.
ALL candidates must submit the following test certificate in order to be considered:
*California POST physical agility test certificate, known as the Work Sample Test Battery (WSTB), with a score of 384 or higher and a 14-minute maximum time for the 1.5 mile run, dated within one year of application. For information on where the WSTB test is offered, please visit www.theacademy.ca.gov/tests.
Information contained herein is subject to change without notice.
The City of San Leandro is an Equal Opportunity Employer. For more information regarding ADA accommodations or Veteran’s preference, please visit https://www.sanleandro.org/Faq.aspx?TID=54 .