Police Recruit (Entry Level)
The Salinas Police Department invites motivated men and women seeking a challenging career in law enforcement to apply for the Police Recruit (Entry Level) position. This is an exciting opportunity for someone with the desire to serve the Salinas community and part of a hard-working team. Upon successful completion of the academy, incumbents are promoted to the sworn Police Officer classification.
Under direction, utilizes specialized training and equipment to protect life and property by enforcing laws and preventing crimes. Performs related special assignments and other work as assigned.
1. Operates a police vehicle, and/or walks a foot beat in patrolling an assigned area.
2. Prevents crimes by communicating with and advising individuals and groups on residential and business district safety practices.
3. Enforces State Penal and Vehicle Code Sections, and other state and local laws and regulations governing public safety.
4. Responds to radio and telephone dispatches and handles activities at the scenes of crimes and other disorders.
5. Investigates and prepares reports on arrests and impounded property.
6. Contacts, questions, and interviews crime suspects, witnesses and other persons; searches and seizes contraband and other types of controlled property.
7. Arrests, transports, supervises and assists in processing detainees and other individuals in custody.
8. Trains in tactical and other departmental assignments, and performs related duties as assigned.
9. Collaborates and works with a wide range of internal departments and external agencies; provides reports, background checks, database inquiries, verification for lost or stolen items including missing persons (Department of Justice validation lists) and other orders or requests.
10. Performs searches of suspects and obtains evidence samples and other necessary information.
11. Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: High School Diploma/GED
Licenses and Certifications: A California State Driver's License