This is protective service work at the trainee level in the enforcement of laws and ordinances for the protection of life and property. Work requires a basic knowledge of techniques, methods, and procedures used in law enforcement activities such as restoring and maintaining order, conducting preliminary investigations and apprehension of criminals which is acquired through specialized training and on-the-job experience.
- Apprehends and arrests suspects, completes arrest forms, and advises detainees and victims of applicable rights.
- Investigates suspicious activities and enforces laws and ordinances.
- Patrols assigned area to enforce traffic and other vehicle-related regulations.
- Responds to complaints concerning violations of laws, automobile accidents, and requests for assistance.
- Interviews persons, prepares reports, and makes disposition or referral as appropriate.
- Watches for and investigates wanted and missing persons, stolen cars, and property.
- Processes crime scenes for evidence; photographs crime scenes, searches for and lifts fingerprints, takes impressions of tire tracks and footprints, and prepares evidence to be presented in court. Investigates and checks pawn shops and stores for stolen articles.
- Operates electronic data communications equipment and two-way radio.
- Guards suspects and provides related security services.
- Transports/escorts individuals as appropriate. Administers basic first aid as required. Demonstrates proficiency in the City of Jacksonville's competencies.
- Performs related work as required.
Must possess a Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university recognized by the American Council on Education or the Council for Higher Education Accreditation, OR have four years active military service, OR have four years of service in the military reserves and an Associate's Degree or equivalent (60 semester/90 quarter hours), OR four years full time law enforcement experience, OR two years full time law enforcement and an Associate's Degree or equivalent (60 semester/90 quarter hours), OR five years continuous full time employment and an Associate's Degree or equivalent (60 semester/90 quarter hours) OR four years currently employed as a full time civilian with the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office and an Associate's Degree or equivalent (60 semester/90 quarter hours), OR four years currently employed as a Jacksonville Sheriff's Office Correctional Officer, Community Service Officer, Certified Bailiff, or Judicial Officer, OR two years currently employed as a Jacksonville Sheriff's Officer, Community Services Officer, Certified Bailiff, or Judicial Officer and an Associate's Degree or equivalent (60 semester/90 quarter hours). Must pass physical abilities test. Must pass psychological screening. Will be tested for controlled substances prior to employment and may be tested for controlled substances and alcohol during employment in this classification.
Applicants must be at least twenty-one years of age and meet the following State required minimum qualifications:
a. be a citizen of the United States
b. not have been convicted of any felony or of a misdemeanor involving perjury or a false statement;
c. not have received a dishonorable or undesirable discharge from any of the Armed Forces of the United States;
d. have processed fingerprints on file;
e. pass medical examination which includes cardio-pulmonary stress test, back X-ray, hearing test, EKG, and visual examination to determine that applicant has normal night vision and color vision, good peripheral vision, and is free from any degenerative eye disease;
f. pass a thorough background investigation including polygraph and psychological testing;
g. be of good moral character;
h. be tested for controlled substances and pass;
i. execute and submit an "Affidavit of Applicant" form attesting to compliance with these requirements.
Will advance to Police Officer upon successful completion of Field Training Program. The probationary period for this classification is up to twelve (12) months. This classification performs safety-sensitive functions and is subject to pre-employment, random and other drug/alcohol testing programs as set forth in the City of Jacksonville's Drug Free Workplace Policy (0401).
- FLA Law Enforcement Officer Certification must pass and maintain.
- FLA Class E Driver's License is required prior to appointment & must be maintained.
- Must qualify for prior to appointment, obtain and maintain during employment in this class a City of Jacksonville Certification as a Public Driver.
- Certificate of Recognition/Compliance/Comparative Compliance in Law Enforcement is required prior to appointment & must be maintained.
- CPR/First Aid Certification is required prior to appointment and must be maintained.