Police Officer/Police Officer Recruit
Salary: $53,934.40 Annually
Job Type: Full Time Regular
Job Number: 2017-088
Closing: 10/16/2017 11:59 PM Central
Upon completion of police academy training, provides crime prevention and law enforcement services for the Town through proactive patrol, preliminary investigations, and traffic control duties in a designated area during an assigned shift.
Examples of Duties
- Patrols a specific beat to promote public safety and enhance the quality of life in assigned area.
- Promotes a positive image in performing community-policing duties (community meetings, beat health issues, problem solving resources, etc.)
- Responds to calls for police service (disturbances, burglaries, prowlers, suspicious persons, etc.) and takes necessary action.
- Secures crime scenes and arrests suspect(s) in misdemeanor and felony offenses.
- Directs traffic, issues citations, and investigates accidents.
- Completes patrol, offense, and arrest reports.
- Assists in conducting criminal investigations.
- Guards and transports prisoners.
- Testifies as a witness in court (traffic and criminal offenses).
- Operates and maintains vehicle and personal equipment.
- Attends training activities and receives classroom and field instruction in job related subjects.
- Stores, tags, and logs evidence and recovered property.
- Maintains a positive friendly and effective working relationship with the general public and co-workers.
- Reports any unsafe, hazardous, or perilous conditions to proper authority.
- Adheres to the personnel, safety and departmental policies, procedures, and Administrative Orders.
- Informs supervisor of all work activities.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Must be a U.S. citizen. High school graduate or General Equivalency Diploma (GED) is required. Must have a valid state issued driver's license. Must obtain a Texas driver's license within 30 days of establishing residency if hired from out of state.
Must be able to pass all steps of the hiring process and meet all other Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) minimum requirements. Must be at least 21 years of age at the time of licensing. Must be able to receive the TCOLE basic peace officer certification with 1 year post academy experience to include successfully completing a field training program with a law enforcement agency.
In lieu of a TCOLE certification, the applicant must have at least:
-45 college credit hours with a 2.0 grade point average or higher on a 4.0 scale, OR
-Minimum two years in the United States Armed Forces with either an Honorable Discharge or an active member of the United States Military Reserve.
No convictions involving family violence. No convictions of a Class B misdemeanor or greater under the Texas Penal Code or any comparable state or federal law, to include the Uniform Code of Military Justice. No convictions of a Class C misdemeanor or comparable law within the last five years (excluding traffic violations). No criminal charges pending or under indictment for any criminal offense. No marijuana use within the last two years and no other illegal drug use within the last five years. Not on probation for any criminal offense. Not have more than three chargeable accidents within the last three years, or any combination of chargeable accidents and moving violations which equal four or more in the last three years.
Must complete police academy training as mandated by the Texas Commission of Law Enforcement in exchange for employment with the Town; must reimburse the Town the full costs of such training and any required inoculations in the event that employment is terminated before the third anniversary of hire date. Must possess a valid Texas Driver's License and driving record must be in compliance with Town policy.
Must have a general working knowledge of police officer and/or law enforcement regulations. Must have good hand-eye coordination to operate police equipment (vehicles, weapons, radios, etc.). Must have excellent communicative skills, both oral and written. Bilingual skills are preferred. To perform the essential functions of the job, must be able to see, write, hear, talk, run, climb, bend, have vision correctable to 20/20 binocular, be able to distinguish between red, green, and yellow in order to accurately describe suspects and vehicles and to identify traffic lights and sign colors, physically restrain a person, endure extended periods of exertion, and sit for long periods of time; to observe and remember names, faces, and details of incidents; to work in adverse environmental conditions; to follow verbal and written directives; to communicate courteously and effectively with other people and maintain a pleasant and friendly personality at all times; to exercise good judgment and make competent decisions in all activities; to work flexible hours and accept on-call duty status; and maintains confidentiality with criminal and investigative information.