Police Officer, Trainee & Lateral
Police Officer Trainee:
The Police Officer Trainee is a non-sworn member of the Department who will attend a POST-Certified Basic Police Academy. Upon graduation from the Academy, the Trainee will be sworn in as a Police Officer and begin serving the 18 month probationary period. Upon appointment to the position of Police Officer, the monthly salary will be increased to the first step of the Police Officer salary range. Education/Experience: Completion of 40 semester units or 60 quarter units from an accredited college or university. (College units must be completed at time of application) Successful completion and graduation from POST Basic Police Academy will be required within six months from date of hire which will provide 21 additional college level units. No experience necessary.
Applicants for Police Officer will be required to complete the entire testing process and may be required to attend the local Police Academy utilized by the City of Campbell. Such attendance will be determined on a case-by-case basis, and if required the appointment would be to the Trainee position. For Lateral Officers, placement within the salary range will be dependent upon experience. Additionally, current POST certification may also be taken into consideration. The probationary period for all new Police Officers is 18 months. Education/Experience: Completion of 60 semester units or 90 quarter units from an accredited college or university. (College units must be completed at time of application) Completion of a POST approved basic academy, First Aid Card & CPR Certificate. No experience required.
You must turn in all of the required documents with your application packet. City employment applications may obtained by visiting the City’s website at www.cityofcampbell.com (use Police Officer application) or www.calopps.org. Please scan all required documents onto one PDF file as Calopps only accepts one file attached. Supporting documents can also be emailed to JenL@cityofcampbell.com or delivered to Campbell City Hall, HR Division, 70 N First Street Campbell, CA 95008. Postmarks, emails and faxes of the application will not be accepted. Please do not substitute “see résumé” on the employment history section of the application.
Required documents for application:
- Copy of POST (PELLETB) written exam T-Score of 50 or above. (If you have been employed as a Police Officer in the last 12 months, you do not need to submit proof of a T-Score).
- Copy of WSTB Physical Agility Test of 320 or above. (If you have been employed as a Police Officer in the last 12 months, you do not need to submit proof of WSTB Physical Agility Test).
- Copy of POST Academy Graduation Certificate (if you have one).
PLEASE NOTE: Your application will be rejected if any required documents are not included in your application packet.
Applicants meeting the employment standards as stated may be invited to continue in the selection process.
Candidates being considered for appointment will be subject to a polygraph examination and a background investigation. Upon a conditional offer of employment, candidates will also be required to pass medical and psychological exams.
For questions regarding this recruitment, please call City of Campbell Human Resources at 408-866-2122 or email HR@cityofcampbell.com.
Prior to hire, candidates will be required to successfully complete a pre-employment process, including employment verification and a Department of Justice (DOJ) fingerprint check. A conviction history will not necessarily disqualify an applicant from appointment; however, failure to disclose a conviction will result in disqualification or termination.
Candidates with a disability who may require special assistance in any phase of the application or testing process should advise the Human Resources Division upon submittal of application. Documentation of the need for accommodation must accompany the request. The City of Campbell is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).
CITY OF CAMPBELL
Human Resources Division
70 N. First Street
Campbell, CA 95008
- Enforces Federal, State and Municipal laws and ordinances;
- Performs patrol duties in cars, on motorcycles or bicycles, and on foot as required;
- Enforces State and local traffic laws to regulate traffic, and investigates accidents;
- Answers calls for service and the protection of life and property;
- Makes arrests as required and testifies in court;
- Performs crime prevention duties and community relations activities;
- Interfaces with all City departments to insure the utmost service to the citizens of Campbell;
- Prepares reports; services and maintains departmental equipment;
- May relieve or assist Records or Communications personnel.
Possession of: Valid California Driver's License.
Ability to Learn:
- Laws of arrest and pertinent Local, State and other laws;
- To reasonably interpret the technical concepts of law;
- To use and care for firearms;
- To observe and remember names, faces, numbers, incidents, and places and judge situations and persons accurately;
- To work with minimal supervision;
- To operate a police mobile and portable radio;
- To prepare accurate police reports.