Police Officer Trainee
Performs responsible protective service work in a training capacity involving a variety of general or support duty police assignments; does related work as required. Much of the work is performed under emergency conditions and involves considerable personal hazard. Work is performed under immediate supervision.
10/25/2019 11:59 PM Easter
• On an assigned shift, assists fully qualified officers to observe for violations of traffic laws, suspicious activities or persons and disturbances of law and order.
• Collects evidence and conducts searches; investigates traffic accidents.
• Responds to radio dispatches and answers calls and complaints; issues traffic citations; serves warrants, summons, etc.; completes arrest records.
• Provides police escorts, directs traffic; performs residential and commercial checks.
• Participates in a variety of in-service and special training programs.
• Responds to and investigates domestic disputes; assists other law enforcement agencies when requested or assigned.
• May be assigned to crime prevention, investigations, SWAT, community response, traffic, juvenile, or related areas for training purposes.
• Performs related tasks as required.
Education and Experience:
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Some knowledge of police methods, practices and procedures; some knowledge of the geography of the City and location of important buildings; some knowledge of the rules and regulations of the Police Department; ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions and to prepare clear reports; ability to deal courteously but firmly with the public; ability to analyze situations and to adopt quick, effective and reasonable courses of action with due regard to surrounding hazards and circumstances; skill in the use of firearms and the operation of an automobile; ability to establish and maintain effective relationship with associates and the general public.