Police Officer Trainee
This is a non-sworn entry-level training position. Employees in this classification are temporary at-will employees. This classification is designed for candidates currently attending a POST-certified Regular Course academy. Employees in this classification attend a police academy and may train concurrently with the Elk Grove Police Department for general police work. Employees do not receive the status as a sworn officer until they complete the academy and are processed through the procedure to become classified Police Officer
1. Attend and successfully complete a California P.O.S.T. Basic Peace Officer Academy.
2. Participate in and provide support and assistance to special crime prevention and enforcement programs.
3. Control traffic flow and enforce State and local municipal codes violations and traffic regulations.
4. Operate a variety of motor vehicles.
5. Operates a wide variety of law enforcement equipment, including radio and communications equipment to transmit to and receive information from Police personnel using a coded response system.
6. Perform investigative work.
7. Attend briefings, meetings, seminars, and training activities.
8. Review Department operating procedures, criminal law changes, crime maps, and other related information.
9. Perform and variety of technical and administrative tasks in support of the Police Department.
10. Performs related duties as required.
Education and Experience Guidelines: - Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Must have a minimum of 40 college units (not including units earned from Basic Peace Officer Academy), from an accredited college or university.
License or Certificate:
• Possession of an appropriate, valid driver's license.
• Must be currently enrolled in a California POST Basic Peace Officer Academy.
• Incumbent will need to pass a background investigation which includes a polygraph, psychological and medical evaluation.
Must be at least 21 years of age at the time of hire.