Police Officer Trainee
$74,222.72 – $94,731.52 Annually
Examples of Duties
- Attend a basic POST certified academy designed to provide an overview of the criminal justice system including laws and training in police procedures, law enforcement techniques, first aid and physical fitness.
- Undergo training to develop an awareness of functions and responsibilities of Police Officers and how they relate to field operations.
- Learn laws of arrest and pertinent local and state laws and ordinances.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
None required. However, some experience in law enforcement work is preferred.
An Associate’s degree from an accredited college or university in criminal justice, psychology, business administration, public administration or related field or 60 semester units from an accredited college or university is required at time of appointment to Police Officer. Appointment to Police Officer occurs after graduation from a POST certified police academy.
- College credits earned while attending the police academy may be applied toward the 60 semester units requirement.
- Candidates may be credited with 36 semester credits for a minimum of 4 years of active duty in the U.S. Armed Services (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Space Force and Coast Guard).