Police Officer Trainee
We are looking for men and women from all backgrounds who welcome a challenge, and who will uphold our mission statement, “To proudly protect and serve the public with respect and integrity.” To those who accept this challenge, we offer great pay and benefits, ample opportunities for specialty assignments and advancement, outstanding training, and the privilege to serve the community of Palo Alto.
-Attends P.O.S.T. certified basic academy, participating in and passing all required classes.
-During training develops awareness and understanding of the functions and responsibilities of Police Officers.
- Academy training may include:
- Instruction on proper handling and firing of firearms;
- Review of radio codes and applicable Penal Code sections;
- Overview of the court system;
- Writing and editing police reports;
-Observing law enforcement activities such as maintenance of order, crime prevention, and protection of citizens and property;
- Review of rules, regulations, and procedures;
- Developing and maintaining high level of physical fitness; and
- Learning and demonstrating competence in arrest and control technique.
- Minimum 18 years of age. Combination of education and experience equivalent to two years of college preferred
- Special Requirements: Pre-employment: ability to pass drug and alcohol test.
- Must be at least 21 years of age at time of appointment
- Must either be a U.S. citizen or have applied for citizenship within the past year
- Must possess a California driver's license
- Must not have any felony convictions
- Must be able to legally posses a firearm in the State of California