Police Officer Trainee
Under basic supervision, provides swift, professional, responsive, and courteous police services for the Vernon Police Department (VPD); responds to calls for service, enforces laws and ordinances, and maintains peace and safety in the community; basic duties include patrol, interventions, investigations, and traffic regulation.
$81,036.80 – $98,488.00 Annually
How to Prepare for the Written Test
Applicants take the POST Entry-Level Law Enforcement Test Battery (PELLETB) exam. The PELLETB is a 2-hour test which includes 105 questions. Learn how to prepare for the PELLETB Police Exam.
• Enforces state and federal laws, and City regulations; performs work according to VPD policies to enforce laws, preserve peace, solve problems, and provide for a safe residential and business environment through community policing; duties will vary according to job assignment.
• Provides community-oriented police services, and improves the quality of life in partnership with the community; works with citizens to address the issues of safety, crime, and neighborhood problems; assures citizens are treated with courtesy and respect for individual liberties.
• Preserves the peace of the community through mediation, investigation, intervention, assistance, and arrest; utilizes all lawful means to improve the quality of life by recognizing and resolving problems.
• Patrols the City, looking for unusual and suspicious activities and persons; recognizes criminal activities and suspects, and uses reasonable cause to stop vehicles and initiate contact with persons of interest.
• Responds to emergency and non-emergency calls for service; investigates, documents, and resolves citizen complaints, traffic incidents, crimes, and dangerous and illegal activities; interrogates and communicates with victims, witnesses and suspects in cases; provides scene security for emergency services personnel.
• Responds to citizens' requests for assistance, enforces traffic regulations and safety issues, apprehends violators, and assures public safety; applies laws and regulations fairly and consistently.
• Investigates crimes and accidents; secures and processes crime and accident scenes, and identifies and collects evidence; arrests law violators; transports and processes suspects, victims and prisoners.
• Completes detailed reports and required paperwork; testifies in court as directed.
• Maintains VPD vehicle and equipment according to Department standards.
• Assists and coordinates with other emergency services personnel, outside organizations and businesses, and federal, state, and local law enforcement organizations.
• Performs specialized functions in areas of expertise, including training, D.A.R.E., canine, and other special enforcement, assessment, surveillance, intervention, and investigative teams.
• Maintains the integrity, professionalism, values, and goals of the Vernon Police Department by assuring that all rules and regulations are followed, and that accountability and public trust are preserved.
• Supports the relationship between the City of Vernon and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with citizens, visitors, and City staff; maintains confidentiality of work-related issues and City information; performs other duties as required or assigned.
EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE GUIDELINES:
High School Diploma or GED equivalent.
LICENSE AND CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
A valid California State Driver's License is required. Must obtain Peace Officer certification with the California Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) and must receive a POST Basic Certificate within one year of initial employment. Upon hire must participate in and successfully complete a minimum of 19 weeks of Field Training. Additional technical training and certifications may be required.