Police Officer – TCLOSE Certified
The Allen Police Department is currently accepting applications for the position of Police Officer – TCOLE Certified. Individuals who meet the minimum qualifications listed below are invited to submit an on-line employment application.
$30.75 – $39.29 Hourly
4/30/2019 5:00 PM Central
The purpose of this position is to protect and serve the property and citizens of the City. This is accomplished by patrolling the City, recognizing and citing offenses and making arrests where necessary. Other duties may include promoting a secure environment, enforcing traffic laws, reporting motor vehicle accidents, investigating crimes, maintaining positive community relations and interfacing with other City employees and citizens. This position does not provide direction to other employees.
This information is intended to be descriptive of the key responsibilities of the position. The following examples do not identify all duties performed by any single incumbent.
• Promotes a secure environment by patrolling, on car, by foot and on bike, the City and assigned districts, deterring crime by presence, assisting in high risk situations, providing special surveillance operations, taking reports, operating Police equipment, enforcing State and local laws and City ordinances, subduing combative or uncooperative citizens, making lawful arrests and keeping the peace on civil scenes.
• Enforces traffic laws by patrolling roadways, responding to calls from Dispatch Center, observing violations and making traffic stops, searching vehicles in probable cause is found, issuing citations or verbal warnings and filing reports.
• Reports on motor vehicle accidents by responding to accidents, clearing the road way, interviewing involved parties, observing and recording evidence at the scene, interpreting and drawing conclusions from evidence, making an overall assessment of the incident, taking appropriate actions, issuing citations and filing reports.
• Investigates crimes by responding to calls for service, interviewing witnesses, victims and suspects, gathering and documenting evidence, submitting evidence, filing reports, issuing citations, taking suspects into custody, and filing charges through the District Attorney's office.
• Maintains positive community relations by answering citizens' questions and providing various other forms of civic service and assistance for citizens, by surveying the public to evaluate problem areas and specific needs and questioning citizens for their opinions on Police matters.
Formal Knowledge / Education
• High School diploma or GED
• Must be at least 21 years of age
License or Certification
• Must posses a current and valid Driver's License and/or be able to obtain a Texas Driver's License prior to employment.
• Basic TCOLE Certification.
Lateral Entry Program guidelines:
If you are currently a TCOLE Certified Police Officer, please review the information below to determine if you would qualify for the Lateral Entry Program. If you meet these criteria, you will not be required to take the written exam or physical agility test. Once the information has been confirmed, you will be contacted to discuss next steps in the process. If you meet the below criteria, you are not required to complete the written exam or physical agility test.
• Must have a minimum of three (3) years of continuous service as a paid full-time Peace Officer from a Municipality, Sheriffs' Office or Department of Public Safety. You must also currently be employed by one of the above agencies.
• A minimum of two (2) years of your experience must be patrol experience handling a full array of Police work to include enforcing laws, investigating crimes, making arrests and carrying a firearm.
• Your experience must be from agencies with a population of at least 50,000 and the Department size will need to be a minimum of 60 full-time sworn officers.
• You will not be allowed to proceed in the process if there are any pending disciplinary actions or investigations for misconduct or criminal activity.
• The Chief of Police or designee will make the final determination if an applicant meets the eligibility standards.
If you are TCOLE Certified and do not meet the above criteria, you may schedule a date/time that fits your schedule for the written exam and physical agility test. Your experience and training will be taken into consideration for your starting salary.
If you are interested in going on a ride along with one of our Officers, please go to the Police Department website at www.cityofallen.org. Follow the Join our Force page and then look under FAQ. Print out the form, complete everything including the notary and drop it off at the front desk of the Police Department (205 W. McDermott Drive.)