Police Officer Recruit (Sponsorship)
Police Officer Recruit is for non-certified applicants. Candidates who are hired will be sent to the 17-week Mid-Michigan Police Academy, a certified law enforcement academy, located at Lansing Community College. Upon successful completion of this academy, the Recruit will be promoted to entry-level police officer and must also successfully complete the Lansing Police Department’s field training officer program.
The Police Officer Recruit is a safety-sensitive, community based position that is involved with the complex and specialized activities required to maintain civil order and enforce laws and ordinances. Police Officers are responsible for the protection of life and property, detection and prevention of crime, apprehension of criminals, and enforcement of laws and ordinances in a designated specialized area or on an assigned shift.
Rate of Pay: $32,671
• Must be 21 years of age at the time of graduation from the academy
• HS Diploma/GED AND at least thirty-seven (37) semester college/university credits; candidates with college/university credits must be eligible for an associate degree after completing the academy. Associate Degree Preferred.
• A minimum of one (1) year or more equivalent life experience such as: employment, internship, coaching, volunteerism, and/or etc.
• Possess good moral character as determined by a favorable, comprehensive, and extensive background investigation covering school and employment records, home environment, and personal traits and integrity
• Honorably discharged USA Armed Forces Veteran (copy of DD-214 must be included in application packet), if apply
• Available to work nights, weekends, holidays, and on an overtime basis
• Legally able to work in the United States
• Possess a valid Michigan Driver's License at time of employment with a satisfactory driving record
• No pending or past felony convictions
• Ability to pass a criminal history record check
• Meet physical standards as determined by the City's Medical Doctor
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Police Officer Recruit - Knowledge of modern principles, practices and procedures relative to police work.
Skill in driving vehicles and using firearms in accordance with established guidelines, writing and typing reports and maintaining records and files, as well as skills in making arrests.
Ability to understand and follow verbal and written instructions, to use a personal computer with basic keyboarding skills, to remember names, faces and details of incidents, to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, other City employees, governmental officials and the general public, and to properly retain and dispense confidential information.
This position requires the individual through assistance or on their own to perform the following actions: standing, walking, running, climbing, jumping, crawling, dragging heavy objects/persons, lifting, pulling, pushing, listening, speaking, twisting, turning, bending, crouching, hearing no lower than 35 dB HL in each ear, color vision, and visual acuity without correction must be at least 20/100 in each eye with a binocular vision of 20/100, correctable to at least 20/20 in each eye with lenses.
As a part of pre-employment testing, candidates must also be or become certified in First Aid and CPR (infant, children, adult) training and AED prior to entrance in the Mid-Michigan Police Academy session as established by the Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards.