Police Officer Recruit (Pre Service/Academy Graduate)
This entry-level, non-sworn classification participates in post-academy training.
Candidates for this entry-level position must be currently attending or have graduated from a California POST approved Basic Police Academy. Academy attendees MUST provide a letter from the academy verifying current enrollment. Academy graduates MUST provide a copy of an Academy graduation certificate showing proof of graduation within the past one year.
- Responds to calls for service regarding accidents, emergencies, crimes, threats, altercations and/or requests for aid.
- Provides information and assistance to the public and promotes Community-Based Policing philosophies.
- Administers first aid to injured persons.
- Interviews, interrogates and records statements from witnesses, suspects, and victims.
- Identifies relevant facts and prepares written reports on incidents and cases assigned.
- Promote community-based policing programs that emphasize collaborative problem solving efforts between law enforcement and the community.
- Apprehend suspects by driving safely at high speeds, chasing suspects on foot, climbing over obstacles, physically subduing suspects, utilizing self-defense and arrest control techniques, and utilizing firearms under appropriate conditions.
- Enforces traffic laws, directs traffic, issues citations, and warnings.
- Investigates accidents and accident scenes.
- Investigates matters involving juveniles, reports of child neglect and juvenile delinquency.
- Refers juveniles to the appropriate authorities.
- Serves subpoenas, serves warrants, testifies in court, marks and stores evidence, apprehends suspects, makes arrests as prescribed by law, and confers with City/District Attorney's Office to provide information for case preparation.
- Assumes responsibility for ensuring the duties of the position are performed in a safe efficient manner.
- Ensures Department services are provided with exceptional customer service and the highest level of ethical standards.
No specific requirement.
Graduation from high school or attainment of GED or CHSPE certificate.
Academy Attendee: Current enrollment in a California POST Basic Academy. A letter from the academy verifying current enrollment MUST be submitted at the time of application.
Academy Graduate: Must have completed a California POST Basic Academy within 1 year from the time of application. A copy of a California POST Basic Academy completion certificate MUST be submitted with the application.
Valid Class C California driver's license.
Applicants must be of good moral character, with no felony or misdemeanor convictions involving moral turpitude.
Minimum age is 20 years at the time of application.
United States citizenship is required, or must have applied for citizenship at least 1 year prior to date of application.