Police Officer – Recruit & Lateral
Under direction of the Police Sergeants and general supervision of the Police Chief, this position performs a variety of sworn level law enforcement activities for the Town of Clarkdale. Essential to this role is patrolling the Town of Clarkdale in the prevention of crime and the enforcement of law and order, conducting preliminary investigations, and carrying out special assignments in the field of policing. This position also understands public trust and models the highest standards of personal and professional integrity expected of those working in public service.
CLASSIFICATION: This is a FLSA non-exempt, full-time position, with full benefits.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES:
Essential functions and duties may be modified at any time at management’s discretion. Typical duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Participates in the implementation of goals, objectives, priorities, policies and procedures of the Town of Clarkdale and the Clarkdale Police Department.
- Conducts or assists in the investigation and filing cases of criminal law violations, traffic accidents and other crimes by obtaining evidence and compiling information regarding these crimes, arresting persons related to crimes, preparing cases for filing of charges, protecting and preserving crime scenes, collecting physical evidence, photographing and/or sketching crime scenes and accidents, testifying in court, and other related activities.
- Apprehends suspects, makes arrests, issues citations, identifies witnesses, conducts preliminary investigations, and re-establishes law and order at scenes.
- Interviews and/or counsels parties involved in incidents, prepares documentation and reports of activities performed and information gathered, conducts follow-up on cases.
- Offers information and direction to the public, discusses issues with citizens to follow up and ensure any concerns are properly addressed.
- May transport prisoners to/from jail and/or court.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
Any combination of education and/or experience that provides the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary for satisfactory job performance. Preferred applicants will have successfully completed a peace officer law enforcement academy as certified by the Arizona Peace Officer Standards and Training Board (AZPOST). A preferred example combination includes AZPOST certification as a peace officer in Arizona and high school/GED graduate with related post-high school education. A successful candidate will be subject to a one (1) year probationary period upon employment.