Police Officer (Recruit, Entry, Lateral)
Police Officer: $34.37 – $50.77 Hourly
Police Recruit: $29.34 Hourly
The City of Redding is accepting applications for the position of Police Recruit/Officer within the Redding Police Department. We are seeking motivated individuals with a strong commitment toward providing excellent service to the members of the community. The Mission of the Redding Police Department is to work in partnership with the community to protect life and property, solve neighborhood problems, and enhance the quality of life in our City.
The Redding Police Department has a reputation as a progressive agency offering excellent training and career development programs and providing our officers with modern equipment. Assignment opportunities include: Patrol, Special Weapons and Tactics, Field Evidence Technicians, Field Training Officers, Investigations, Motor Unit, Canine, Bicycle Patrol and the Neighborhood Police Unit.
Entry-Level Police Officer: We are currently only considering candidates for the Entry Level Police Officer position who have already completed a 6 month law enforcement academy.
Lateral Police Officer: The Redding Police Department is now offering a $40,000 signing bonus to qualified Lateral Police Officers as well as two weeks of vacation upon successful completion of the probationary period. Compensation is based on years of service and experience as a Peace Officer.
Education and Experience:
- Typical education includes a high school diploma or equivalent.
Entry-Level Police Officer:
- Less than one year of “street” experience and successful completion of an accredited POST basic academy.
- Applicants must attach a copy of a California POST Academy certificate.
- POST Academy Certificates over three years old require proof of completion of a POST Academy update course.
Lateral Police Officer:
- Currently working with another agency OR meet California POST standards for a Police Officer.
- Completion of probation and one (1) year of street patrol experience.
- Applicants must attach a copy of a Basic POST certification.
For Police Recruit applicants:
- The knowledge and skills required to complete the required course work beyond the high school diploma and to successfully perform the job requirements.
- Ability to interact effectively with the public and employees.
- Ability to read, understand, and carry out departmental policies, rules, instructions, laws and regulations.
- Ability to analyze situations and adopt a quick, effective, and reasonable course of action. Ability to write clear and accurate reports.
- Ability to understand and follow directions.
- Ability to utilize the safe use and care of automobiles, motorcycles, and firearms.
Education & Experience:
- Typical education includes a High School diploma, or equivalent.
- Applicants must have completed and attach the “Post Entry-Level Law Enforcement Test Battery (PELLETB)” with a “T-Score” score of 45 or higher to their application and possess a minimum of 30 college semester units upon successful completion of the academy.
- Certificates over two years old will not be accepted.
- Be currently enrolled in a POST academy in good standing, with a “T-Score” score of 45 or higher, and possess 30 college semester units upon successful completion of the academy.
- Must have 30 units upon completion of the P.O.S.T. Academy.