Police Officer Recruit
This entry level, non-sworn classification participates in pre-academy training and the actual police-training academy.
- Responds to calls for service regarding accidents, emergencies, crimes, threats, altercations and/or requests for aid.
- Provides information and assistance to the public and promotes Community-Based Policing philosophies.
- Administers first aid to injured persons.
- Interviews, interrogates and records statements from witnesses, suspects and victims.
- Identifies relevant facts and prepares written reports on incidents and cases assigned.
- Apprehend suspects by driving safely at high speeds, chasing suspects on foot, climbing over obstacles, physically subduing suspects, utilizing self-defense and arrest control techniques, and utilizing firearms under appropriate conditions.
- Enforces traffic laws, directs traffic, issues citations and warnings.
- Investigates accidents and accident scenes.
- Investigates matters involving juveniles, reports of child neglect and juvenile delinquency.
- Refers juveniles to the appropriate authorities.
- Serves subpoenas, serves warrants, testifies in court, marks and stores evidence, apprehends suspects, makes arrests as prescribed by law, and confers with City/District Attorney's Office to provide information for case preparation.
- Assumes responsibility for ensuring the duties of the position are performed in a safe efficient manner.
- Ensures Department services are provided with exceptional customer service and the highest level of ethical standards
Graduation from high school or attainment of GED or CHSPE certificate.
Valid Class C California driver's license.
Applicants must be of good moral character, with no felony or misdemeanor convictions involving moral turpitude.
Minimum age is 20 years at the time of application.
United States citizenship is required, or must have applied for citizenship at least 1 year prior to date of application.
Knowledge and/or use of personal computers.