Police Officer – Recruit
A Police Officer Recruit is an entry-level position prior to becoming a certified Police Officer. Participates in formal, structured training at a police academy as well as customized departmental training classes and field training program arranged by in-service trainers. Upon successful completion of the police academy, field training programs, and under direct supervision of a Police Sergeant, provides law enforcement services to the citizens of Cottonwood and surrounding areas; and performs related duties as assigned.
Rate of Pay: $50,037 – $75,055
Closes On: June 30, 2021 at 11:59 PM
- Protects and serves the public; serves court paperwork; maintains courtroom security; provides suspect intake, maintenance, release, and transport; investigates burglary and other felonies; investigates domestic violence and animal offenses; patrols thoroughfares for traffic infractions; responds to a variety of calls; testifies in both civil and criminal courts as well as court hearings; completes written reports; provides oral reports as requested; ensures public peace of mind; may be required to work overtime to meet the needs and critical functions of the police department.
- Investigates bomb threats; provides first aid; makes public relation appearances; subdues suspects with as little force as necessary; determines if a crime has been committed and acts on professional judgment; upon completion of the required certification, serves as a motor officer investigating and documenting traffic collisions, DUI and traffic related complaints (e.g. speeding, running a stop sign or stoplight, etc.); serves on traffic collision team.
- Upon completion of the required certification, may serve as School Resource Officer providing a safe learning environment; teaches classes and serves as counselor to students; serves as a tool in building the relationship between the school and the officer by promoting a positive image of law enforcement; interacts with students and obtains information regarding gangs, and at-risk students.
- Upon completion of the required certification, may serve as a K-9 officer providing the city with a trained canine used in the location of suspects and the detection of drugs; maintains currency of certification through ongoing training as required; provides the K-9 with proper nutrition, training, care, grooming, and practice to maintain its skills; keeps the K-9 at his/her home as a regular part of the family.
- Upon completion of the required certification, may serve as a Field Training Officer providing field training to new or returning officers; provides the necessary instruction and guidance under field conditions to produce a functioning Police Officer meeting the standard of Arizona Police Officer Standards and Training (AZ-POST); provides ongoing training and guidance throughout the one-year period of a new recruit’s training process.
• Applicants must have an equivalent of a high school diploma or GED,
• Be a U.S. Citizen,
• Be 21 years of age upon completion of the police academy,
• Have no felony convictions,
• Successfully complete the Arizona P.O.S.T. minimum certification requirements including a background questionnaire investigation and interview, polygraph examination, psychological test, medical examination and controlled substance screening.
• Must possess the ability to be clearly understood when speaking.
• Additional experience and education will be necessary for progressive steps (Journey and Advanced).