Police Officer / Police Officer Recruit
Upon completion of police academy training, provides crime prevention and law enforcement services for the Town through proactive patrol, preliminary investigations, and traffic control duties in a designated area during an assigned shift.
8/4/2019 11:59 PM Central
• Patrols a specific beat to promote public safety and enhance the quality of life in assigned area.
• Promotes a positive image in performing community-policing duties (community meetings, beat health issues, problem solving resources, etc.)
• Responds to calls for police service (disturbances, burglaries, prowlers, suspicious persons, etc.) and takes necessary action.
• Secures crime scenes and arrests suspect(s) in misdemeanor and felony offenses.
• Directs traffic, issues citations, and investigates accidents.
• Completes patrol, offense, and arrest reports.
• Assists in conducting criminal investigations.
• Guards and transports prisoners.
• Testifies as a witness in court (traffic and criminal offenses)
Must be a U.S. citizen. High school graduate or General Equivalency Diploma (GED) is required. Must have a valid state issued driver's license. Must obtain a Texas driver's license within 30 days of establishing residency if hired from out of state.
Must be able to pass all steps of the hiring process and meet all other Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) minimum requirements. Must be at least 21 years of age at the time of licensing. Must be able to receive the TCOLE Basic Peace Officer Certification with 1 year post academy experience to include successfully completing a field training program with a law enforcement agency.
In lieu of a TCOLE certification, the applicant must have at least:
-45 college credit hours with a 2.0 grade point average or higher on a 4.0 scale, OR
-Minimum two years in the United States Armed Forces with either an Honorable Discharge or an active member of the United States Military Reserve.
No convictions involving family violence. No convictions of a Class B misdemeanor or greater under the Texas Penal Code or any comparable state or federal law, to include the Uniform Code of Military Justice. No convictions of a Class C misdemeanor or comparable law within the last five years (excluding traffic violations). No criminal charges pending or under indictment for any criminal offense. No marijuana use within the last two years and no other illegal drug use within the last five years. Not on probation for any criminal offense. Not have more than three chargeable accidents within the last three years, or any combination of chargeable accidents and moving violations which equal four or more in the last three years.
Must complete police academy training as mandated by the Texas Commission of Law Enforcement in exchange for employment with the Town; must reimburse the Town the full costs of such training and any required inoculations in the event that employment is terminated before the third anniversary of hire date. Must possess a valid Texas Driver's License and driving record must be in compliance with Town policy.
Must submit to and pass a post-offer, non-regulated drug test and thorough background checks (including criminal history).