Police Officer/Police Officer in Training
Applicants who have not been through an academy/are not Missouri POST certified, may be hired as a Police Officer in Training and sent through a police academy at MUPD’s cost. Police Officers in Training are paid and accrue university benefits while they are in the police academy. Upon successfully completing the academy, passing the Missouri POST exam, and meeting the minimum qualifications (see below), Police Officers in Training will transition to the Police Officer position and undergo field training with the MU police department. MUPD officers have full powers of arrest in accordance with Missouri Revised Statutes, additionally holding City of Columbia commissions and a mutual aid agreement with the Boone County Sheriff’s Department to assist with enforcement throughout Boone County as needed. Because we are a full-service department, we are responsible for enforcing statutes, laws and regulations within our jurisdiction, as well as providing community programming, and conducting our own investigations. This allows personnel opportunities to gain experience and specialize in a wide variety of call types and police services. Officers must graduate from a police academy in compliance with Missouri state statue for certified peace officers and maintain continuous training in compliance with Missouri’s Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST). For more information regarding police officer responsibilities, please see the Operations Division section of our Department Units page.
Applicants for the position of Police Officer/Police Officer in Training with MUPD must meet the following minimum qualifications:
- Citizen of the United States
- Resident of the state of Missouri by date of appointment
- Twenty-one years of age by date of appointment
- High school diploma or equivalent
- A valid Missouri operator’s license
- Missouri POST certification may be required prior to employment, but it is required once job has started.
- Must not have been convicted of a felony or class A misdemeanor
- Has not consumed any alcoholic beverages within the past six months because of an addiction to alcohol.
- Has not within two years of appointment used, manufactured, sold or cultivated any controlled substance (as defined by Missouri state statues) with the exception of the use of marijuana as described in the following, nor is addicted to any controlled substance.
- Has not used, within two years prior to appointment, marijuana, nor has manufactured or sold marijuana ever. Marijuana cases may be judged on a case-by-case basis with regard to experimental use and recreational use in legalized cities.
- Has no criminal history as outlined in section 590.080.1 and section 590.100.1, Revised Missouri Statutes (RSMo.)
- Prior to beginning job duties, all officers must graduate a Basic Law Enforcement Training Academy, pass the Missouri Peace Officer License Exam, and be certified as a police officer within the state of Missouri (Police Officers in Training do not have to meet this qualification prior to being hired).