Police Officer – Out of State Lateral
The City of Salem’s Police Department is hiring for Certified Out-of-State Lateral Police Officers.
As a leading law enforcement agency in the Pacific Northwest, the Salem Police Department is searching for outstanding candidates for the position of lateral police officer. The Salem Police Department has outstanding opportunities to enhance and further your career. Our agency has a full complement of special teams and units to include: SWAT, Bomb Squad, Mobile Response Team (Civil Unrest Team), Tactical Negotiations Team, Strategic Investigations Unit, DEA Task Force, Persons and Property Crime Detectives, Traffic Team, Downtown Enforcement Team, Crash Reconstructionist, Computer Forensics, Behavioral Health Unit, Training Division, Peer Support Team, Civil Investigations Team, Patrol, and Wellness Program.
$30.58 – $40.14 Hourly
Police Officers perform a variety of law enforcement duties, such as responding to and investigating diverse incident scenes; patrolling assigned areas; enforcing laws and ordinances; making arrests; preserving crime scene evidence; summarizing events in report format; and performing preventative community policing for culturally diverse neighborhoods, and may be assigned to specialized units or teams in department.
• High School graduate or have completed a G.E.D. and must already possess a minimum of a Basic Police Certification by the Oregon Department of Public Safety Standards and Training (DPSST) or out-of-state equivalent.
• Currently employed with a minimum of three years of full-time employment as a police officer (jail and most federal law enforcement experience will not be counted toward the three-year minimum).
• Must pass the NTN Frontline National Test and submit valid test results to the City through NTN's website (valid test results are results that are current or no more than one year old from time of application).
• Successfully complete the Oregon Physical Agility Test (ORPAT) and submit those results through the NTN website. An ORPAT result is considered valid if the results are dated six months or less from the time the application is submitted. **Please note that at this time, due to COVID-19, the ORPAT is not being offered. You will be required to take and pass the ORPAT as soon as it becomes available.**
• If you have a valid and current PAT test from another State, you may submit your score by attaching it to your online City application, so long as it is no more than six months old from time of application.
• Possess and maintain a valid Oregon class C driver's license or other state equivalent and have a driving record that meets the City of Salem's standards.
• Must be able to work periodic overtime and a variety of 24-hour rotating shifts including holidays and weekends.
• Be at least 21 years old at date of hire.
• Be a U.S. Citizen or have the ability to become one within 18 months of hire.
• Participate in competitive testing including physical fitness testing, reading comprehension, writing skills, written, physical/vision, hearing and psychological examinations, and be able to pass strict Police Department background investigation.
• Must pass the pre-employment drug test (including marijuana).
• Must pass the pre-employment background check.