Police Officer – Lateral
Salary: $74,241.72 – $80,028.36 Annually.
The person in this position is responsible for crime prevention and repression, traffic law enforcement, protective patrol services, arbitration in neighborhood and family disputes, apprehension and arrest (or citation or warning) of criminal law violators and recovery of stolen property. This is a civil service position. This position is within a collective bargaining agreement.
- Exercise independent judgment in determining when there is reasonable suspicion to detain, when probable cause exists to search and arrest, and when force may be used and to what degree.
- Effect arrests, forcibly if necessary, using handcuffs and other restraints; subdue resisting suspects using maneuvers and weapons and resort to the use of hands and feet and other approved weapons in self-defense.
- Pursue fleeing suspects and performs rescue operations, which may involve performing of a wide variety of physically strenuous activities.
- Load, unload, aim and fire from a variety of body positions handguns, shotguns and other agency firearms under conditions of stress that justify the use of deadly force and at levels of proficiency prescribed in certification standards.
- Operate a law enforcement vehicle during both the day and night; in emergency situations involving speeds in excess of posted limits, in congested traffic and in unsafe road conditions caused by factors such as fog, smoke, rain, ice and snow.
- Perform searches of people, vehicles, buildings and large outdoor areas which may involve feeling and detecting objects, walking for long periods of time, detaining people and stopping suspicious vehicles and persons. Conduct visual and audio surveillance for extended periods of time.
- Communicate effectively with people, including juveniles, by giving information and directions, mediating disputes and advising of rights and processes. Endure verbal and mental abuse when confronted with the hostile views and opinions of suspects and other people encountered in an antagonistic environment.
- Gather information in criminal investigations by interviewing and obtaining the statements of victims, witnesses, suspects and confidential informers. Prepare investigative and other reports, including sketches, using appropriate grammar, symbols and mathematical computations.
- Detect and collect evidence and substances that provide the basis of criminal offenses and infractions and that indicate the presence of dangerous conditions. Prepare and process legal and non-legal documents such as citations, affidavits, and warrants.
- Perform rescue functions at accidents, emergencies and disasters to include directing traffic for long periods of time, extinguishing small fires, administering emergency medical aid, lifting, dragging and carrying people away from dangerous situations, and securing and evacuating people from particular areas.
- Process and transport prisoners and committed mental patients, using handcuffs and other appropriate restraints.
- Pick up animals identified as nuisance animals, load them into an animal shelter vehicle, and transport them to the animal shelter.
- High School Diploma or GED; an A.A. Degree in Police Science or related field is desired.
- Completion of a recognized police training academy or equivalent courses necessary to allow certification with the Washington State Training Commission within twelve months of employment.
- A minimum one year full-time job experience as a paid professional police officer with an active municipal or county agency or similar organization or agency within two years preceding appointment required for lateral entry officer; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must be a minimum of 21 years of age at the time of employment.
- Must be of good moral character and of temperate and industrious habits; and have a working knowledge of the methods, principles, and practices of law enforcement and crime prevention and of the laws governing arrest, custody of prisoners, search and seizure, and rules of evidence.