Police Officer I – Recruit
The City of Richmond Police Department is seeking individuals who desire a career in law enforcement with a large, urban “high performance” organization. The Police Recruit classification executes the beginning level of police work, providing protection of life and property through the enforcement of laws and ordinances.
$43,000.00 – $74,244.00 Annually
• Patrolling assigned City beat for traffic and other violations using a variety of transportation including patrol car, motorcycle, bicycle, and horse
• Making traffic stops and intervening in other criminal activity
• Conducting general field services, including monitoring police radio and responding to citizen calls and complaints
• Obtaining and issuing warrants
• Interviewing suspects and witnesses and following-up with victims
• Interacting with city and community agencies and groups
• Responding to citizen calls, complaints and requests for information
- Requires a minimum of a high school or General Education Diploma (GED).
- The successful candidates must pass an initial physical agility and written test, extensive background investigation and pre-employment medical screening and formal police academy training. The candidates must also be willing to submit to a polygraph examination.
- Candidate must be 21 years of age at the time of graduation from the Police training academy. Valid Virginia driver's license upon graduation from the Police training academy.