Police Officer I, II, or III
$45991 to $57437 Per Year DOE
This position is ONLY open to:
1. Currently Utah certified police officers who have a Utah Police Officer Certification, AND
2. Officers who are certified to perform the functions of a police officer in a different state and can successfully obtain a waiver from Utah Peace Officer Standards and Training.
Performs a variety of highly trained law enforcement procedures for the City of St. George to protect and maintain the well being of the general population of the City.
Essential Functions (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills, and other characteristics. The list of tasks is illustrative only and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions in this class.)
Police Officer I:
- Effects an arrest within training guidelines and department policy and using that amount of force which is reasonable and necessary in accordance with policy and law.
- Prepares investigative and other reports, including sketches, using appropriate grammar, symbols, and mathematical computations.
- Exercises independent judgment in determining when there is reasonable suspicion to detain, when probable cause exists to search and arrest, and when force may be used and to what degree.
- Operates a law enforcement vehicle during the day and night in emergency situations involving speeds in excess of posted limits, in congested traffic, and in unsafe road conditions caused by factors such as fog, smoke, high winds, rain, ice, and snow.
- Communicates effectively and coherently over law enforcement radio channels while initiating and responding to radio communications.
- Gathers information in criminal investigations by interviewing and obtaining the statements of victims, witnesses, suspects, and confidential informers.
Police Officer I
Education and/or Experience: High school diploma or equivalent.
Licenses and/or Certifications:
- Certified as a Law Enforcement Officer by the Utah Police Officers Standards and Training (POST) as defined in Section 53-13 of the Utah Code Annotated.
- Successfully complete the St. George Police Officer Selection Examination and requirements established by the City of St. George and the City’s Police Department. This may include written and oral examination, physical examination, background investigations, computer voice stress and/or polygraph examination, drug test, psychological evaluation, and physical fitness test.
- Must pass and maintain the Police Department physical fitness standards.