Police Officer I, II, or III
Salary: $58,471.00 to $83,262.00 Per Year DOE
Performs a variety of highly trained law enforcement procedures for the City of St. George to protect and maintain the well being of the general population of the City.
- Effects an arrest within training guidelines and department policy and using that amount of force which is reasonable and necessary in accordance with policy and law.
- Prepares investigative and other reports, including sketches, using appropriate grammar, symbols, and mathematical computations.
- Exercises independent judgment in determining when there is reasonable suspicion to detain, when probable cause exists to search and arrest, and when force may be used and to what degree.
- Operates a law enforcement vehicle during the day and night in emergency situations involving speeds in excess of posted limits, in congested traffic, and in unsafe road conditions caused by factors such as fog, smoke, high winds, rain, ice, and snow.
- Communicates effectively and coherently over law enforcement radio channels while initiating and responding to radio communications.
- Gathers information in criminal investigations by interviewing and obtaining the statements of victims, witnesses, suspects, and confidential informers.
- Pursues fleeing suspects and performs rescue operations which may involve quickly entering and exiting a law enforcement patrol vehicle; lifting, carrying, and dragging heavy objects; climbing over and pulling oneself up over obstacles; jumping down from elevated surfaces; climbing through openings; jumping over obstacles, ditches, and streams; crawling in confined areas; balancing on uneven or narrow surfaces; and using body force to gain entrance through barriers.
- Loads, unloads, aims, and fires, from a variety of body positions, a handgun, rifle, and other agency firearms under conditions of stress that justify the use of deadly force and at levels of proficiency prescribed in certification standards.
- Performs searches of people, vehicles, buildings, and large outdoor areas which may involve feeling and detecting objects, walking for long periods of time, detaining people, and stopping suspicious vehicles and persons.
- Conducts visual and audio surveillance for extended periods of time.
- Education and/or Experience: High school diploma or equivalent.
- Certified as a Law Enforcement Officer by the Utah Police Officers Standards and Training (POST) as defined in Section 53-13 of the Utah Code Annotated.
- Successfully complete the St. George Police Officer Selection Examination and requirements established by the City of St. George and the City’s Police Department. This may include written and oral examination, physical examination, background investigations, computer voice stress and/or polygraph examination, drug test, psychological evaluation, and physical fitness test.
- Must pass and maintain the Police Department physical fitness standards.
- Must obtain and maintain all certifications as required by the Chief of Police or Division Commander.
- Must maintain a minimum of 40 hours of POST accepted training each year to maintain certification which includes the Police Department’s mandatory in-service training requirements.
- Must maintain a three (3) or higher rating on annual department evaluation.
- Must possess a valid Utah driver license. Driver license must be maintained throughout employment.