Police Officer I
The Police Department provides police services to the town with 24-hour patrol, traffic enforcement, and criminal investigation services. A 24-hour communications center is maintained at police headquarters to assist citizens and dispatch calls for service. All personnel are provided with the tools and training to address the needs of our diverse Northern Virginia community.
Our department believes that community interaction and engagement leads to a safer community. Community Policing and Crime Prevention programs such as citizen and youth police academies, and National Night Out provide opportunities for strong, collaborative police-community relationships to develop and grow.
Salary/Pay Rate: $57,364 – 76,094 depending on qualification
• Patrols areas of the town; prevents and discovers commission of crime; apprehends criminals and offenders; enforces traffic laws
• responds to calls for service and complaints from citizens involving accidents, misdemeanors and felonies
• conducts accident and criminal investigation; gathers evidence; interviews suspects and witnesses; writes reports; makes arrests as required; renders credible information as witness in court and other related police duties
• Must be a U.S. citizen and 21 years of age at date of appointment; high school diploma or equivalent
• must possess valid Virginia driver’s license with a good record upon hire
• must be able to communicate clearly and effectively both orally and in writing; be of character and reputation to pass extensive background investigation
• Current Virginia law enforcement officer certification preferred
• Bi-lingual in Spanish desirable
Must be willing to sign a condition of employment agreement which precludes smoking on or off duty.