Police Officer I
Under general supervision, performs a variety of duties for the Cañon City Police Department, to maintain public order, and to assist and protect the lives and property of Canon City residents, business owners, and visitors.
Salary range: $20.58 – $27.85
• Performs law enforcement duties on an assigned shift. Upholds and enforces federal, state, and municipal criminal and traffic laws and ordinances. Prevents criminal episodes and suppresses civil disturbances. Patrols City in marked or unmarked police cars, responds to calls for assistance and traffic accidents, determines appropriate actions to maintain or re-establish law and order, investigates incidents, intervenes in disputes, writes reports, executes search warrants, controls traffic, issues citations, apprehends criminal suspects, makes arrests, consults with prosecutors, testifies in court, and transports suspects to jail.
• Assists the public with general information and safety advice. Prepares legal paperwork such as arrest warrants, summons, probable cause affidavits, custody forms, penalty assessments, and revocation forms. Investigates crimes. Collects and preserves evidence. Photographs and videotapes crime scenes and accident scenes. Conducts searches as authorized of buildings, vehicles, documents, and computers following established procedures. Provides first aid when needed.
• Some positions may serve as School Resource Officer. Some positions serve as Drug Awareness & Resistance Education (D.A.R.E.) Officer.
• Performs related duties as established by law/ordinance or reasonably directed by the City.
• High school diploma or equivalent; completion of Field Training; or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Licensing/Certification Requirements:
• Certified Colorado Police Officer.
• Colorado Driver’s License.