Police Officer I
The Fairfax County Police Department (FCPD) is looking for individuals
to join our team to provide law enforcement and public safety services to the community in Fairfax County.
The FCPD is comprised of employees and volunteers who possess the highest standards of ethics and integrity which creates the foundation of our ability to deliver a variety of essential police services to protect and serve all members of our community. Our department provides ethical leadership by engagement with the community to; prevent and fight crime, improve the culture of safety at work and in the community, which preserves the sanctity of all human life, and keeps pace with urbanization. Fairfax County possesses a stellar reputation nationally as the safest jurisdiction of our size among the top fifty major cities. We accomplish this through robust partnerships with all members of our uniquely diverse community.
$54,511.18 – $88,793.12 Annually
12/31/2022 at 11:59 PM Eastern Time (US & Canada)
- Acts to enforce criminal laws, traffic regulations and maintain public order;
- Patrol designated area utilizing police vehicle;.
- Conducts criminal and vehicle accident investigations;
- Effects arrests and testifies in court;
- Knowledge of modern methods and practices of criminal investigation and identification;
- Knowledge of departmental rules and regulations;
- Knowledge of the geography of the county;
- Skilled in the use of firearms;
- Ability to effectively communicate with persons of all ages and walks of life;
- Ability to remember names, faces, and details;
- Ability to comprehend and execute complex oral and written directions;
- Ability to exercise good judgment in stressful situations;
- Good physical condition;
- Keen sense of observation;
- Ability to maintain a high level of ethical standards;
- Ability to demonstrate a high level of integrity at all times.
Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to:
High school graduation or a GED issued by a state department of education.
Successful completion of police recruit training.
Possession of a valid motor vehicle driver's license at the time of appointment.
By the end of the probationary period, must obtain the following:
Certification as a Law Enforcement Officer by the Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services; Certification in the Virginia Crime Information Network (VCIN);
Certification in firearms proficiency.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Must be a citizen of the United States; (or a permanent resident alien with an application for naturalization filed and pending with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services may be considered);
- Must be 20 years old, or within 180 days of 21st birthday at the time of application, or currently a Police Cadet and within 180 days of 21st birthday;
- Must successfully complete a criminal background investigation, a polygraph examination, a psychological examination, and a physical ability test prior to appointment;
- Applicants selected must be able to obtain a Class A medical rating in the assigned medical group prior to starting work;
- Must be able to perform essential job functions (reasonable accommodation may be made on a case-by-case basis);
- Must have never committed, been involved in, or been convicted of, a felony or serious misdemeanor;
- Must be of good character and reputation;
- Incumbents shall not use any tobacco products on and off duty starting at the time of appointment. The incumbent must be willing to sign a Condition of Employment Agreement acknowledging the prohibition of the use of tobacco products both on and off duty.
- All Newly hired employees are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of employment or obtain approval of a medical or religious exemption prior to their start date. Proof of an exemption or vaccination status will be required during the pre-employment onboarding process. New employees who obtain an exemption from the vaccine mandate for medical or religious reasons will still be subject to the weekly testing requirement. Otherwise, vaccinated employees will complete the attestation online in the first day of employment.