Police Officer – Entry/Cadet (Trainee)
The City of Benicia is recruiting for the position of Police Officer to fill current vacancies, as well as establish an eligibility list for future vacancies. We seek energetic, enthusiastic, and hard working individuals for our Police Department.
The City has 3 separate recruitments for Police Officer: Lateral Candidates, Academy/Non-Lateral Candidates, and Entry/Cadet (Trainee) Candidates. Please see below for the definition of each. It is the candidate’s responsibility to apply for the correct recruitment.
POLICE OFFICER – ENTRY/CADET (TRAINEE)
The City is accepting applications from candidates who would like to have the City sponsor them through a recognized police academy.
As a Police Officer Trainee, you will attend a six (6) month POST certified Police Academy beginning in January 2024 to receive education and training in all aspects of law enforcement. The entry/cadet (trainee) candidates are appointed to a probationary status at $5,485.23 per month until successful completion of a P.O.S.T. Basic Academy. Upon successful completion of the academy, you will have the opportunity to be sworn in and promoted to the position of Police Officer.
After successful completion of the academy, the new Police Officers begins a 12-month probationary period. They will work under the direction of experienced Field Training Officers (FTOs) to prepare for patrol duties. Upon completion of an approximately 16-week FTO program, you may patrol designated areas of the City, investigate crimes against persons or property, make arrests, and enforce traffic regulations. Responsibilities of Police Officers also include writing police reports, testifying in court, and performing other related law enforcement duties.
Any combination of experience and education that could likely provide the required knowledge and ability would be qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and ability would be:
- Equivalent to graduation from high school.
- No experience in law enforcement is required for Entry/Cadet (Trainee) level.
License and/or Certifications:
- Must possess and maintain a valid and appropriate driver’s license as issued by the State of California Department of Motor Vehicles.
- Must successfully complete the certified POST Basic Academy course of instruction as a condition of continued employment.
- T-Score of at least 45 on the POST Entry-Level Law Enforcement Test Battery (PELLETB) within 12 months prior to application submission.
- Must be able to successfully complete a POST physical ability test.
- Minimum age of 21 years by date of employment.
- Must be of good moral character to be determined through a thorough and comprehensive background investigation, which will be conducted under P.O.S.T. guidelines.
- Must have no record of felony criminal convictions or misdemeanor convictions which could affect credibility as a witness in a court of law.
- Must be able to sit and/or stand for long periods of time and have the ability to meet the standards of stature, endurance, agility and general physical requirements as outlined in the P.O.S.T. Medical Screening Manual, as well as pass a polygraph and psychological screening, background investigation, written, oral and physical agility examinations.
- Must adhere to P.O.S.T. Police Code of Ethics, display loyalty to the department, City government and the community.