Police Officer – Entry
Port of Portland police officers are state certified peace officers who provide law enforcement services primarily at the Portland International Airport and surrounding areas, in compliance with federal aviation regulations. The police department consists of 61 sworn personnel and five non-sworn staff. In addition to uniform patrol, sworn assignments include detectives, canine handlers (explosive detection and narcotics detection), explosives technicians, Joint Terrorism Task Force, FBI Organized Crime Task Force, and Transit Police positions. Our primary mission, as a proactive law enforcement agency, is to provide for the safety and security of the traveling public, with emphasis on preventing potential terrorist attacks on the aviation industry.
Summary of Essential Responsibilities
- Be responsible for the protection of life and property within the jurisdiction of Portland International Airport (PDX).
- Provide police emergency response, patrol, investigations and court testimony.
- Ensure the public convenience and well-being of travelers using airport facilities.
- Serve the needs of the airport and associated businesses and properties in a prompt and professional manner.
Minimum Requirements/Skills and Abilities
- High school diploma or GED is required. A degree in criminal justice, social science or related field is preferred.
- Prior experience in security operations, law enforcement, or a private security settings is preferred.
- Must be a citizen of the United States of America.
- Must be at least 21 years of age at time of hire.
- Must possess or be able to obtain a valid Oregon or Washington State driver’s license at time of hire.