Police Officer (Certified & Trainee)
The Greenville Police Department is currently seeking Police Officers and Police Officer Trainees. Under general supervision, performs law enforcement work as established by the North Carolina Criminal Justice Training and Standards Council.
Starting annual salary for N.C. Certified Officer (General Certification): $43,451.20
Starting annual salary for trainee with BLET and probationary certification: $37,294.40
Those who are currently enrolled in an approved North Carolina Basic Law Enforcement Training (BLET) program are eligible to apply.
1/27/2019 11:59 PM Eastern
Examples of Duties
• Patrols an assigned area on foot, patrol car, or other assigned mode of transportation to preserve order and enforce laws;
• Receives and answers complaints and requests for service from citizens, provides information or assistance, or investigates according to policies and procedures;
• Summons additional personnel, ambulance, or additional facilities to the scene of disaster, crime or accident as required;
• Interviews complainants, witnesses, and other persons who may have related information;
• Performs crime scene processing;
• Investigates break-ins, thefts, major crimes, and other situations as may be required;
• Prepares detailed records and reports as required;
• Investigates traffic accidents and completes State accident reports;
• Operates speed detection device and writes traffic citations as warranted;
• Escorts parades, funerals, and similar processions;
• Attends public gatherings to help maintain order;
• Patrols assigned area for unusual situations and investigates unusual and suspicious circumstances;
• Makes arrests as warranted;
• Presents oral testimony in court;
• Notifies business owners of conditions deserving attention;
• Accompanies persons transporting large sums of money or other valuables;
• Directs traffic at accident scenes, hazardous locations, sporting events, in lieu of traffic signals, and as directed;
• Operates breathalyzer, DCI terminal and other assigned police equipment;
• Serves warrants, capiases, and subpoenas;
• Prepares records and reports as required;
• Reports hazardous street conditions, defective lights, defective water lines, and other problems;
• Coordinates and meets with other officers and supervisors to collaborate efforts to address police issues in assigned area;
• Attends and participates in community meetings and efforts;
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
• Must be a Certified North Carolina Law Enforcement Officer in good standing with the N.C. Criminal Justice Standards Commission OR must be enrolled in or have successfully completed an approved North Carolina's Basic Law Enforcement Training (BLET) program.
• Must be a United States citizen
• Must be a high school graduate or have passed the General Educational Development (GED) test
• Must have a valid North Carolina driver's license and acceptable driving record
• Must be at least 20 years of age at the time of application
• Must be of good moral character with no disqualifying criminal conviction(s)
• Must undergo an extensive background investigation including, but not limited to, polygraph exam, psychological evaluation, medical exam, and drug screen
• Must successfully complete a physical agility test and oral interviews
• Must be available to work days, evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays on a rotating schedule
• Must meet any other minimum employment requirements established by the City of Greenville
• Candidates who do not successfully complete the selection process are eligible to reapply for other City job vacancies.
• Selection process typically is completed within three (3) to five (5) months.