Police Officer (Certified/Certifiable 23-02)
$51,783.00 – $80,831.00 Annually
2/21/2023 11:59 PM Eastern
Please note that this job posting is for those who are currently Certified Police Officers or those who will graduate from a Police Academy by May 2023.
Patrol: The purpose of this job is to provide police services to the general public and patrol city streets to provide protection of its citizens. Enforces city ordinances and state laws. Offers professional police presence where needed and requested. Interviews complaints, suspects, and witnesses to criminal activity. Testifies in criminal, civil, or administrative court cases when required.
Community Policing: The purpose of this job is to serve and protect life and property of those within the city limits of Grand Rapids. Enforces laws and ordinances. Works with citizens to address problems and improves police and community relations.
Tactical: The purpose of this job is to perform tactical operations throughout the city. Responsible for Patrol Officer duties in any capacity needed or requested throughout the City, which includes special events, foot, bike, uniformed or plainclothes and Segway patrols.
Minimum Training and Experience
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and be able to obtain a Michigan Driver’s license by date of hire.
- Must have a high school diploma or GED.
- US citizenship
- Some experience involves communicating with people under varying circumstances.
- Candidates for positions in this class are required to meet initial employment requirements as established by the Civil Service Board.
- Must take and receive a passing score on the Grand Rapids Civil Service Exam for Police Officers.