Police Officer (Certified and Non-Certified)
$49,059.48 – $57,012.28 Annually
DescriptionPerforms intermediate protective service work enforcing laws, investigating criminal activity, ensuring safety of public, collecting evidence, testifying in court, maintaining files and records, preparing reports, and related work as apparent or assigned. Work is performed under moderate supervision.
**Applicant must be 20 years old at the time of applying**
**Subject to City review and approval, CERTIFIED officers may be granted additional compensation for up to 6 years of verified prior law enforcement experience in the Commonwealth of Virginia.**
Non-certified applicants are eligible to receive a one-time hiring incentive of $12,000.00. Virginia DCJS Certified Police Officers are eligible to receive a one-time hiring incentive of $20,000.00. Some conditions apply, including successful completion of all training standards and requirements.
Examples of Duties
- Patrols assigned area via a patrol vehicle, on foot, or on bicycle to observe for violations of traffic laws, suspicious activities or persons, and disturbances of law and order.
- Responds to radio dispatches and follows up on calls and complaints.
- Directs and/or monitors traffic, provides police escort, investigates traffic accidents, and issues citations for traffic violations.
- Serves warrants, makes arrests, and testifies in court.
- Prepares call and complaint follow-up reports and various other reports on activities and assignments.
- Performs residential and commercial checks for security.
- Provides customer service to the general public.
- Participates in a variety of in-service training programs.
- May have K-9 or other special unit related responsibilities (care, equipment maintenance, etc).
Minimum Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or GED and moderate experience in law enforcement, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Licenses and/or Certifications:
- Obtain Basic Law Enforcement Training (BLET) certification within one year, if not certified upon hire.
- Valid driver’s license in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Must meet and maintain all training and education requirements for position.