Police Officer Candidate
Industry: Protective Service
Occupational Category: Law Enforcement
This position learns and performs general police duties to ensure the strict enforcement of state and local laws relating to public safety and welfare, performs related law enforcement work as required; and attends training in order to successfully complete Class I Certification through the Criminal Justice Academy in accordance with §23-23-40 of the Code of Laws of South Carolina 1976. The incumbent works according to set procedures under close supervision.
- Attends training classes and observes and assists superior officers in order to learn the policies, procedures, methods and protocols associated with the position of Police Officer with the City of Columbia;
- Completes Class I Certification through the Criminal Justice Academy in accordance with §23-23-40 of the Code of Laws of South Carolina 1976;
- Enforces all federal and state laws and City ordinances relating to public safety and welfare; performs all duties in compliance with applicable policies, procedures, laws, regulations and standards of safety;
- Learns and performs general patrol duties, including but not limited to patrolling assigned areas of the City, monitoring property security, responding to emergency calls and/or public calls for assistance, apprehending and arresting suspects and violent persons, securing crime scenes, seizing property and/or criminal evidence, maintaining public order, transporting prisoners and mental patients, etc.;
- Learns and performs traffic enforcement duties, including issuing traffic tickets and warnings, detecting DUI suspects, and assisting with accident reconstruction and investigations;
- Assists with the service of warrants, summonses, subpoenas, civil and other official papers;
- Assists with criminal investigations. Assists in interviewing witnesses, complainants and victims; interrogating suspects; gathering physical evidence and preserving it for court; providing case follow-up as needed;
- Provides testimony and presents evidence in court as necessary;
- Administers first aid and assists EMTs at emergency scenes as necessary;
- Performs routine service duties, including but not limited to providing escort service for the protection of persons and/or property, assisting stranded motorists, providing funeral escort, directing traffic, providing security and crowd control at special events, etc.;
- Prepares and submits detailed work records and reports;
- Learns and remains abreast of all federal and state laws, and ordinances of the City of Columbia;
- Maintains assigned equipment and vehicle;
- Receives and responds to citizen inquiries, complaints and requests for assistance;
- Participates in neighborhood and community relations programs; attends neighborhood meetings to enhance police/community relationships and to address safety and quality of life issues;
- Attends periodic training sessions and attends seminars and meetings to keep abreast of current law enforcement trends; maintains required physical fitness and required level of proficiency in the use of firearms;
- Works under stressful, high-risk conditions;
- Remains on call 24 hours per day, seven days per week, for emergency response;
- Performs general clerical work as required, including but not limited to preparing reports and correspondence, entering and retrieving computer data, copying and filing documents, sending and receiving faxes, answering the telephone, etc.; and
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS TO PERFORM WORK:
- High school diploma or GED;
- No prior experience required;
- Valid South Carolina Class “D” Driver’s License.
- U.S. Citizen
- At least 21 years of age
The work is considered medium-to-heavy in nature and involves walking, standing, running, climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, and lifting, pushing or pulling objects, and also involves exerting between 20 and 50 pounds of force on a recurring basis and 50 to 100 pounds of force on an occasional basis.