Police Officer Candidate
Starting Salary is $50,232, After completion of the Police Academy $55,827.
The fundamental reason this classification exists is to perform general duty police work in the protection of life and property through crime prevention and the enforcement of laws and ordinances. Employees within this class are responsible for a full range of duties including routine patrol, law enforcement, preliminary investigations and traffic control for a designated area on an assigned squad.
- Patrols a designated area of the City by radio equipped car, bicycle or on foot, to prevent, discover, and deter the commission of crime, to enforce criminal law, to direct traffic, and to enforce motor vehicle operation and parking regulations;
- Responds to calls and complaints involving fire, automobile accidents, domestic and neighborhood disturbances, assaults, robberies, and other misdemeanors and felonies;
- Writes detailed reports on police-related activities;
- Interviews persons with complaints and makes proper disposition or directs them to the proper authorities;
- Secures crime scenes, administers first aid, arbitrates disputes, conducts preliminary and follow-up investigations, gathers evidence, obtains witness
statements, apprehends suspects, makes arrests, and transports offenders;
- Gives advice and general information to inquiries from the public;
- Serves as a witness in court in connection with arrests and investigations;
- Attends periodic training classes in police methods, first aid, firearms and related subjects
- Minimum Age 21
- U.S. Citizen
- H.S. Diploma or GED
- Vision correctable to 20/20
- Valid driver’s license
- Drug screen & background check with written exam and physical agility test at a later date for PO Candidates.