Police Officer – Campus Police
Hiring Rates: $22.00
JOB SUMMARY/ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
The Police Officer provides safety and protection of personnel and property and eliminate and deter criminal activities for the University and surrounding areas. This position patrols an assigned area to enforce laws and ordinances, regulate traffic, control crowds, prevent crime, and arrest violators.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Patrols the campus to deter crime and maintains building security.
- Patrols parking facilities to prevent theft and vandalism and to issue citations as appropriate.
- Apprehends, arrests, and files charges against criminal suspects when appropriate.
- Preserves evidence from a crime scene until collected by crime scene investigators.
- Presents testimony when applicable in a court of law on required cases when subpoenaed
- Regulates pedestrian and vehicular traffic; investigates traffic accidents and files preliminary accident reports.
- Responds to security alarms and check for intruders and burglars.
- Performs building checks to ensure doors are locked, windows closed, and lights turned on or off as appropriate.
- Provides security for special University events; provide security escort for students and employees.
- Assists or presents training for the campus community, law enforcement and community service officers as requested.
- Assists the Community Relations Programs Unit as assigned.
- Works in conjunction with other law enforcement agencies when necessary.
- Complies with the policies and procedures as set forth by the University and Campus Police.
- Participates in training as set forth by the Chief of Police or his designee.
- Maintains annually, a satisfactorily completion of all training required by P.O.S.T.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: High school diploma or GED (TRANSCRIPT REQUIRED)
EXPERIENCE: One (1) year of security or police experience. Must be at least 21 years old and have a valid driver’s license in order to drive a patrol car. Must meet the minimum standards for pre-employment as stated by The Tennessee Peace Officer Standards and Training Commission; must be a U.S. citizen; pass a physical and psychological exam; consent to a pre-employment background investigation and fingerprints; and qualify to carry a firearm; must be able to work rotating shifts. Must have the ability to work with people of diverse backgrounds; possess good verbal and written communication skills.
LICENSE/CERTIFICATION: Must satisfactorily complete at least one P.O.S.T. certified school. Must complete an approved in-service training session appropriate for employee’s rank and responsibilities each year at a time and location designated and must complete the training in a satisfactory manner as a condition of continued employment. Must possess a valid Tennessee driver’s license or a valid license from a neighboring state, if resident of that state, and must maintain a valid driver’s license as a condition of employment. (LICENSE AND CERTIFICATION REQUIRED)
PHYSICAL QUALIFICATIONS: Must pass a physical and psychological exam. Must agree to comply with police appearance and grooming standards, as set by Department policy, and maintain such standards as a condition of employment.