Police Officer Cadet (Entry-level)
OPEN UNTIL FILLED.
The Police Officer Cadet is a non-sworn officer in a trainee capacity. Incumbents attend a Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) certified academy to develop the minimum qualifications necessary to assume a position as a sworn police officer.
- Under general supervision, the incumbent attends prescribed police academy to learn the principles, practices, and theory of criminal and civil law enforcement in addition to codified and case law; receives training in report writing, physical fitness techniques, firearms use and maintenance, and arrest and control techniques.
- Upon successful completion of the required POST training (police academy) within the required time frame and at the discretion of management, the Police Officer Cadet will be appointed to the classification of Police Officer. Police cadets work varied shifts including nights, weekends, holidays, and special events.
- Under close supervision, the Cadet may assist other police officers in the performance of their duties.
- High school diploma or equivalent and eligibility to attend a certified California Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) basic training academy.
- Eligible to be a peace officer in the State of California.
- Eligible to obtain a valid P.O.S.T. Certificate of Eligibility or possess a P.O.S.T. Basic Certificate in good standing.
- Valid California driver’s license.
- Must meet CSUN Minimum Standards of Employment and Training; must be free of any felony convictions;
- Have good moral character;
- Meet pre-employment requirements including the (POST) Entry Level Law Enforcement Test Battery, physical agility test, successful completion of a comprehensive (POST) background investigation, physical exam with drug testing, and psychological exam.