Police Officer (BLET Trainee)
The City of Greenville Police Department is now accepting applications for the position of Police Officer Trainee to join its growing rank of law enforcement professionals. As a Police Officer Trainee, you will be compensated to attend Basic Law Enforcement Training Academy (BLET), where you will undergo five months of intense physical and educational training designed to prepare you for a career in law enforcement. Upon receiving your certification, you will graduate as a certified North Carolina Police Officer with the City of Greenville.
Candidates who successfully complete the selection process are offered a Trainee position with the City of Greenville and will be paid to go through a 5-month BLET (Basic Law Enforcement Training) academy.
The rate of pay for Trainees while attending BLET is $21.74 per hour ($1,739.20/biweekly).
Examples of Duties
- Patrols assigned areas on foot, patrol car, or other assigned mode of transportation to preserve order and enforce laws;
- Receives and answers complaints and requests for service from citizens, provides information or assistance, or investigates according to policies and procedures;
- Summons additional personnel, ambulance, or additional facilities to the scene of disaster, crime, or accident as required;
- Interviews complainants, witnesses, and other persons who may have related information;
- Performs crime scene processing;
- Investigates break-ins, thefts, major crimes, and other situations as may be required;
- Prepares detailed records and reports as required;
- Investigates traffic accidents and completes State accident reports;
- Operates speed detection device and writes traffic citations as warranted;
- Escorts parades, funerals, and similar processions;
- Attends public gatherings to help maintain order;
- Patrols assigned areas for unusual situations and investigates unusual and suspicious circumstances;
- Makes arrests as warranted;
- Presents oral testimony in court;
- Must be a United States citizen.
- Must be a high school graduate or have passed the General Educational Development (GED) test.
- Must have a valid North Carolina driver’s license and acceptable driving record.
- Must be at least 20 years of age by January 7, 2024.
- Must be of good moral character with no disqualifying criminal conviction(s).
- Must undergo an extensive background investigation including, but not limited to, polygraph exam, psychological evaluation, medical exam, and drug screen.
- Must successfully complete a physical agility test and oral interviews.
- Must meet any other minimum employment requirements established by the City of Greenville.