Police Officer – Academy / Pre-Service
Town of Los Gatos
Police Officer – Academy Graduate / Pre-Service
Starting pay $42.54 per hour
The Town of Los Gatos is actively recruiting Police Officer – Academy Graduate / Pre-service. This job announcement is intended for candidates who have not yet served as a Police Officer but have graduated from a Police Academy within the past two years and possess a current California POST Basic Academy certification.
Current Academy attendees may also qualify with written verification that they have completed at least 4 weeks of instruction, are in good standing with the Academy and not affiliated or sponsored by another agency.
The Position: Under general supervision of an experienced training officer, this position immediately begins the field-training program. Upon successful completion of training, Police Officers work under a Community Policing philosophy and will be assigned to areas answering calls for the protection of life and property and the enforcement of State and local laws. Police Officers conduct investigations of crimes and arrest suspects; investigate traffic accidents and enforce traffic laws; present evidence in court and interview complainants.
Application and Selection Process: If you are interested in this exciting opportunity, apply immediately, as this announcement may close without notice. Please submit your application on-line at www.losgatosca.gov. Application screening will be conducted by Human Resources to identify applicants with experience, education, and training that best match the position. This classification is represented by the Police Officers Association and is subject to agency shop fees.
The information contained within this announcement may be modified or revoked without notice and does not constitute either an expressed or implied contract.
The successful Police Officer Academy Graduate/Pre-Service candidate, with training, will possess the knowledge, skills and abilities to:
- Work alone and patrol an assigned area of Town;
- Work in an outdoor environment for extended periods when required;
- Work flexible shifts, including nights and weekends;
- Decide between alternative courses of enforcement action while under routine or stressful conditions;
- Demonstrate sound judgment, tact and integrity, act with courtesy, resourcefulness, and initiative;
- Accurately re-create events, conversations or readings and to record those re-creations in written and/or oral form;
- Assimilate and understand information in a manner consistent with the essential job functions;
- Understand modern police methods and procedures;
- Be physically capable of performing the essential job functions of this classification;
- Have a background free of felony convictions and pass a thorough background investigation;
- Perform related duties and responsibilities as required.
IN ADDITION TO MEETING THE QUALIFICATIONS ABOVE, ANY CANDIDATE CONSIDERED FOR THE POSITION MUST ALSO POSSESS THE FOLLOWING EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
- Successful completion of a Police Academy within the past year;
- Currently enrolled in a California Police Academy (unaffiliated) with at least 4 weeks of completed instruction and in good standing with the Academy;
- Current California POST Basic Academy certificate;
- Valid California Class C Driver’s License;
- Graduation from high school or equivalent;
- Minimum age 21 at time of appointment;
- Completion of 60 semester units from an accredited college;
- Be a citizen of the United States or a permanent resident alien who is eligible for and applied for citizenship;