SUMMARY: Perform a variety of duties in the enforcement of laws and the prevention of crimes. Control traffic flow and enforce State and local traffic regulations. Perform a variety of technical and administrative tasks in support of the Police Department.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Receives general supervision from higher level supervisory and management staff. This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: The following duties and responsibilities are illustrative of the primary functions of this position and are not intended to be all inclusive.
- Patrol a designated area of the City to preserve law and order, discover and prevent the commission of crimes, and enforce traffic and other laws and ordinances; check buildings for physical security.
- Respond to burglar alarms, public service calls and complaints including domestic disturbances, civil complaints, property control, automobile accidents, robberies, and related misdemeanor and felony incidents.
- Collect, process, photograph and present evidence including fingerprints, fibers, blood and related physical evidence. Testify to the results of analyses on evidence.
- Enforce traffic laws and ordinances; check speed with radar; issue warnings and citations; investigate traffic accidents; render aid to injured parties.
- Interview suspects, victims, and witnesses in the field.
- Prepare reports on arrests and other calls for service completed.
- Arrest and maintain custody of prisoners; conduct breathalyzer tests and record results; booking of arrestees.
- Serve warrants, summonses, and subpoenas.
- Preserve and maintain custody and security of confiscated property.
- Direct traffic at special events and traffic related emergency situations.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Per the Civil Service Rules and Regulations;
- Be a citizen of the United States and after employment reside in the City of Cheyenne, or a reasonable distance (ten miles) therefrom, within the State of Wyoming.
- Have the ability to speak, read, and write the English language readily and understandably.
- Be of good moral character, reputation, and personality.
- Be of good health with average intelligence and general knowledge.
- Be financially responsible and free of serious criminal record.
- Be not less than 21 years of age at the time employment offer is tendered.
- Be of body weight proportional to body height.
- Have at least a high school or equivalent education.
- Be capable of strenuous physical activity and, in the opinion of a physician selected by the Commission, have no serious physical defects likely to prevent strenuous physical activity during the twenty (20) years subsequent to employment; have eyesight in each eye corrected to 20/20 Snellen; have no hearing deficiency, and have a thumb and either a forefinger or middle finger on each hand.
- Indicate mature judgement, emotional stability and an aptitude for police work.
- Have a valid driver’s license from any state.