The Patrol Officer is a non-supervisory, entry level position of the Oshkosh Police Department and is a representative of the City of Oshkosh and the State of Wisconsin. As such, is governed by legal and ethical standards of the highest nature. The Patrol Officer’s philosophy must be one of dedication to the public service setting aside personal interests for the interests of the common good.
Application Deadline: July 13, 2021
• Arrest persons with and without warrants and assist in prosecutions as required.
• Investigate any complaint assigned and take appropriate actions.
• Conduct follow-up investigations whenever necessary during the normal course of an investigation or upon special request, and utilize Departmental records.
• Identify and investigate suspicious vehicles, persons or situations.
• Be prepared for court and testify in court in an honest, impartial and convincing manner, while keeping in mind he/she is a witness relating facts so that the court may pass judgment.
• Address all persons in a firm, courteous manner to develop trust, respect and confidence in the officer and the Department.
• Check traffic for motorists who need assistance and provide them with such aid as is practical under the circumstances. Render assistance to all persons and give reliable information in a courteous manner.
• Stop vehicles to inspect operators’ licenses and investigate, cite or arrest occupants.
• Issue appropriate warnings, citations and summons to violators as guided by departmental policy.
• Regulate traffic on roads when such action is necessary to facilitate the movement of traffic. Check the speed of vehicles using radar, laser and pacing.
• Investigate all traffic accidents occurring in the City and conduct a complete inquiry into the accident to ascertain the cause or causes of the accident and issue traffic citations when appropriate.
• Observe and report all traffic hazards.
• Check vehicles abandoned or parked in unusual locations.
• Enforce bicycle laws.
• Enforce all parking ordinances.
REQUIRED TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
• Educational Requirements:
a. An Associate Degree in any field; or
b. A Bachelors Degree in any field; or
c. Earned 60 credits from an accredited college or university.
• Possess a valid driver's license at the time of employment.
• Be at least 20 years of age.
• Be a United States citizen.
• Have No felony or Domestic Abuse related convictions.