Salary: $38.66 – $45.48 Hourly.
Closing Date: 4/23/2024.
This is general duty police work involving the enforcement of laws and ordinances, the maintenance of general order in the city, and the performance of a variety of public relations duties. Work involves responsibility for performing a variety of informational and public relations duties relative to maintaining general order and a peaceful climate throughout the city. Work also involves responsibility for the protection of life and property, prevention of crime, apprehension of criminals, and the enforcement of laws and ordinances on an assigned shift. Work is performed in accordance with department rules and regulations and consists of routine patrol, investigative, or traffic regulation duties. Work occasionally involves personal danger and employees must be able to act without direct supervision and exercise judgment in meeting emergency situations. Assignments, general, and special instructions are generally received from Police Supervisors, who review work methods and results through reports, observations, and discussion.
- Understand and apply the Community Oriented policing philosophy of the Columbia Heights Police Department in the performance of police duties.
- Patrols the City, on foot or in a vehicle, to preserve law and order, prevent and discover commission of crime, apprehend criminals and offenders, and to enforce vehicle and traffic laws, directs traffic, and enforces parking ordinances.
- Provides a variety of information pertaining to the City and surrounding areas; gives directions and advises the public as to regulations, ordinances, where to obtain requested information, and locations of buildings, businesses, and residents; answers other questions.
- Maintains a peaceful climate throughout the City; responds to domestic complaints; prevents loitering, responds to nuisance calls pertaining to stray animals, excessive noise, trespassing, and others; attempts to prevent potential troublesome situations.
- Conducts detailed and thorough investigations of criminal offenses including burglaries, robberies, vandalisms, assaults, and other crimes and checks a variety of sources for stolen property; apprehends and arrests violators; makes a thorough search of crime scene for evidence or clues gathered, and protects evidence; searches for and apprehends violators; takes pictures; serves papers; conducts interviews.
- Answers fire, accident, and other calls; mediates domestic disputes; delivers official city communications; assists victims and their families and friends; monitors residences of out-of-town citizens; prepares case, complaint, and shift reports; conducts preliminary investigations.
- Provide credible testimony and/or evidence at trials, hearings, and before grand juries, as required.
- Maintain strong code of ethics of the highest standard of conduct while on and off duty.
- May perform lead work duties as required.
- Performs special assignments such as those relating to school patrol or bicycle safety programs.
- Performs other work as required.
- Must be licensed or eligible to be licensed as a full time police officer in the State of Minnesota at the time of hire.
- Two or more years of work experience of a high public contact nature.
- Valid driver’s license with satisfactory driving record or the ability to acquire a valid Minnesota driver’s license within 30 days of employment.
- Bachelor’s degree in law enforcement, criminal justice, or related field.
- Two or more years work experience performing police work or police support duties.