Salary: $27.31 Hourly.
Under general direction, performs a variety of entry-level technical law enforcement duties related to enforcing the laws, maintaining the peace, and serving and protecting the citizens of the City of Montrose.
- Perform duties of an officer as defined by Montrose Police Department policies and procedures. Enforce state and local laws and ordinances. Meet and sustain all requirements for certification as a police officer for the State of Colorado.
- Patrol areas of the city in various police vehicles, on bicycle or on foot, checking for criminal activity. Become familiar with persons living in area. Respond to calls for assistance. Secure crime scenes for evidence, and conduct preliminary investigation. Thoroughly follow through and complete all assigned investigations.
- Utilize the Spillman records system and be proficient in report writing in accordance with Montrose Police Department guidelines.
- Prepare for court cases and testify in court as required.
- Learn and adhere to officer safety guidelines established by the Montrose Police Department policies and procedures.
- Learn and know when and how to use all assigned equipment appropriately. Clean and maintain assigned firearms, vehicles and other equipment.
- Adapt the tools of community policing according to Montrose Police Department guidelines. Maintain a strong rapport and perform ongoing public relations and community policing with Montrose citizens and businesses.
- Perform various programs for special target populations in the community including crime prevention and public relations. Implement programs and conduct presentations in relation to criminal activity. May participate in special units and other cooperative agency programs.
- Must be at least 21 years of age, have no felony convictions and be able to legally possess a firearm.
- High School or GED diploma required.
- Ability to meet the physical fitness standard required by the department.
- Working knowledge of modern law enforcement principles, procedures, techniques and equipment, applicable laws and ordinances.
- Ability to recognize and analyze a variety of police problems and make recommendations.
- Strong computer skills with experience utilizing MS Office products including Word and Excel, and police specific software.
- Current Colorado P.O.S.T. Certification.
- Current Colorado driver?s license with acceptable record.