$57,808.00 – $86,201.00 Annually
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Primary function is to enforce local, state and federal laws and ordinances; to patrol assigned areas; and to do skilled police work in the investigation of alleged criminal offenses and juvenile cases.
Entry Requirements and Skills
To be eligible you must have graduated from high school or an equivalent, and be able to meet minimum standards for Iowa Law Enforcement officers as indicated by the Iowa Law Enforcement Academy.
1. Be a U. S. Citizen and a resident of Iowa or intend to become a resident upon being employed*;
*As reference in Iowa Administrative Code 2.1(1) Is a citizen of the United States and a resident of Iowa or intends to become a resident upon being employed; provided that the state residency requirement under this subrule shall not apply to employees of a city or county that has adopted an ordinance to allow employees of the city or county to reside in another state and shall not apply to an employee of a city or county that later repeals such an ordinance if the employee resides in another state at the time of the repeal. Railway special agents who are approved by the commissioner of public safety as special agents of the department shall be exempt from the Iowa residency requirement.
2. Is 18 years of age at the time of appointment;
3. Hold a valid Iowa driver’s license*;
*As reference in Iowa Administrative Code 2.1(3), Railway special agents who are approved by the commissioner of public safety as special agents of the department and officers who are allowed to reside in an adjacent state shall be required to possess a valid driver’s or chauffeur’s license of the state of residence of the officer.
4. Not be addicted to drugs or alcohol [modified for Chapter 400 civil service positions by §400.17 of the Code of Iowa];
5. Be of good moral character as determined by a thorough background investigation including a fingerprint search conducted of local, state and national fingerprint files and have not been convicted of a felony or a crime involving moral turpitude;
6. Successfully pass physical fitness tests;
7. Not be opposed to use of force to fulfill duties;
8. Be a high school graduate or hold a GED certificate;